Thursday, March 17, 2011

Review: River Marked by Patricia Briggs

River Marked
Author: Patricia Briggs
Publication: Ace Books; 1st edition (March 1, 2011)


Description: Car mechanic Mercy Thompson has always known there was something different about her, and not just the way she can make a VW engine sit up and beg. Mercy is a shapeshifter, a talent she inherited from her long-gone father. She's never known any others of her kind. Until now. 

An evil is stirring in the depths of the Columbia River-one that her father's people may know something about. And to have any hope of surviving, Mercy and her mate, the Alpha werewolf Adam, will need their help...




My Thoughts: This was a great story about Mercy and Adam's honeymoon. After a surprise wedding (surprising to the bride at least!), Mercy and Adam head to a campground on the Colombia River for a honeymoon. Naturally, trouble follows. Mercy learns that they are honeymooning there because of a vision one of the fae had. She also finds that some of the people there knew her father. She even sees his ghost. The gets involved with a number of Native American legends including Thunderbird and Coyote. She learns a lot about her past as she and Adam look for a way to defeat a fae monster who is snacking on those who venture near the Colombia River.


I enjoyed the interactions between Mercy and Adam as they get used to their new roles as husband and wife. I love Mercy's personality as someone who is quite willing to tweak the vanity of anyone who comes near her no matter how powerful they might be. I also loved the character of Coyote who may or may not be Mercy's father. 


I recommend this urban fantasy series to anyone who likes a feisty female character and a well-developed fantasy world. Besides a lot of deadly danger, the book is filled with humorous moments. I found it an all-together great read and one story that I will likely re-read often.


Favorite Quote:
Adam smiled and rocked me a couple of times. "How confusing it must be to have a coyote half, a human half, an Indian half, and a white half."

I snickered and felt better. It was seldom a good idea to take myself too seriously.


1 comment:

  1. oh oh a wedding?! ooh and honeymoon ^.^ I'm excited. I just got my copy and haven't gotten around to reading it yet!

    Sniffly Kitty
    Sniffly Kitty's Mostly Books

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!