Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Book Review: Clouds of Witness by Dorothy L. Sayers

Clouds of Witness
Author: Dorothy L. Sayers
Series: Lord Peter Wimsey Mystery (Book 2)
Publication: Print On Demand; 1 edition (October 5, 2018)

Description: Peter's and Mary's older brother, the Duke of Denver, is charged with willful murder and put on trial in the House of Lords. How can detective Lord Peter proceed when it's a murder in his own family potentially by his own brother?

My Thoughts: In this episode, Peter and Bunter rush home from Corsica when they receive news the Peter's elder brother the Duke of Denver has been arrested for the murder of Peter's sister Mary's fiance Denis Cathcart.

Peter finds the situation very complicated. The duke has no alibi for the time of the murder that he is willing to share. His sister Mary is lying about something. And there are mysterious footprints around the scene of the crime that don't belong to any of the people staying at the house when the murder was committed.

Peter, Bunter, and Peter's friend Parker need to find out the truth about Denis Cathcart's death before the duke can be tried in front of a jury of his peers. As the busily try to track down the owner of the mysterious footprints, unravel Mary's series of lies, and investigate Cathcart's path they discover a number of secrets that all of them hold.

The story was fast-paced and filled with interesting characters. I am becoming a huge fan of Bunter who manages to save Peter's life in this one. I'm also curious to know if Parker's relationship with Lady Mary has any sort of future. Peter, as always, is an entertaining and intriguing character.

Favorite Quote:
"She always say my lord, that facts are like cows. If you look them in the face hard enough they generally run away."
I bought this one. You can buy your copy here.

1 comment:

  1. This is definitely my kind of read. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!