Monday, December 23, 2019

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (Dec. 23, 2019)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is now hosted by Kathryn at The Book Date.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

I will be combining my YA and adult reading and purchases on this one weekly roundup.

Other Than Reading...

We had a snow-free week. Of course, we traded the snow for bone-chilling cold at the beginning of the week with windchills running about 35 degrees below zero. But the end of the week improved and we are looking at temperatures in the high 20. We may even hit 40 degrees before the warm spell leaves us. Unfortunately, the weather folks aren't predicting a lot of melting for the almost four feet of snow we've received. It should make the roads clear though.

With my brother finished with his cardio rehab and looking forward to getting back to work, we both need to make new exercise plans. I hope this week we'll get a chance to check out some fitness options. I'm still hoping he'll join the YMCA with me so that I can have a chauffeur for some of my visits.

Today we made Polish sausage from my dad's recipe for a Christmas treat. We did cut down on the salt to 1/4 of the amount in the recipe to make the sausage more heart-healthy. We also used leaner pork but didn't trim off all the visible fat. We've tried that and it makes sausage that doesn't hold together at all and is very dry.

I've been getting in the habit of making bread a couple of times a week. This week's new choice was Honey Oatmeal which turned out fairly well. It was a bit "crumby" for me. I like a different smoother texture better. This week I'll be making 100% Whole Wheat for the first time and also making some hamburger buns.

I'm reading my January releases and just fitting in a reread once a week or so. I did buy myself the Kindle books for Anne Bishop's two trilogies that I haven't read yet. I adore the Others books and thought the Black Jewels books were pretty good. I'm eager to see if I like her other books. I was also surprised and pleased to see Nora Roberts' next standalone thriller available at Edelweiss and added it to my review stack for May.

Read Last Week

If you can't wait until the review shows up on my blog, reviews are posted to LibraryThing and Goodreads as soon as I write them (usually right after I finish reading a book.)

  • Vision in Silver by Anne Bishop - reread
  • The Vanishing by Jayne Ann Krentz (Review; Jan. 7) - Two psychic private investigators get together to solve a current mystery and one that has lingered for years. Typical Krentz characters and dialog which is not a bad thing. My review will be posted on Jan. 1.
  • There's A Murder Afoot by Vicki Delany (Review; Jan. 7) - The crew from the Sherlock Holmes Bookshop are in London for a Sherlock Holmes convention when Gemma's father is accused of murdering his brother-in-law. They need to find the correct murderer. My review will be posted on Jan. 2.


  • Marked in Flesh by Anne Bishop - reread
  • Etched in Bone by Anne Bishop - reread
  • A Perfect Eye by Stephanie Kane (Review; Sept. 1) - This thriller stars a lawyer turned art conservator who has a remarkable ability to remember what she sees. When a benefactor of the museum where she works is murdered, she gets involved in solving the case with an old flame. My review will be posted on Jan. 4.

Currently


Next Week




Reviews Posted




Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?

Bought:




Review:


What was your week like?

8 comments:

  1. I haven't read a Nora Roberts book in awhile. Hideaway looks good. I'll have to add it to my list. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow a whole stack of Anne Bishop reading. Is that a new Nora Roberts, will have to watch out for that. I've thought about getting into some bread making, I might look into a bread maker, seems like you are having success.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOh nice!! I think I'm finally caught up with The Others spinoff series! It's so hard to stay on top of adult series these days since most of the ones I read run into 400+ page lengths. I still struggle with my 300+ page length in YA! Lol.

    Hope you enjoy your reads for this week!

    Here's my Monday Wrap-up

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm also baking bread regularly. Just took two loaves out of the oven. Happy holidays. My weekly update

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad your brother's situation has improved. Also, that you are enjoying your books and getting into your January reads.

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love Anne Bishop! Both her series were great. Now will have to check out Sebastian. A great week of reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wishing you a great reading week and happy holidays.,

    ReplyDelete
  8. Homemade Polish sausage sounds awesome! Glad you had a snow-free week, too. Happy Reading and Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!