Monday, May 11, 2020

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (May 11, 2020)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is now hosted by Kathryn at The Book Date.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

I will be combining my YA and adult reading and purchases on this one weekly roundup.

Other Than Reading...

This was another quiet week for me. I did go to the grocery store once this week because I wanted to pick out my own breakfast cereal rather than putting "cereal" on the list my brother makes when he shops. I ended up getting another box of the one I'm finishing up anyway - but I wanted to see if anything else looked good and fit my nutritional plan.

My brother did start back at Target this week but only for about 15 hours. This week he'll work just two days and next week goes back to a more usual 34 hours schedule. I liked having him home for his 30-day leave because we could plan meals and eat at more regular times. For some reason, most of his work days mean that he isn't home for supper. They really seem to favor the 1PM - 9PM time slot for him.
We did have a mostly sunny week but the temperatures were too cold for me to go out walking most days. Temperatures seem to be running about ten degrees cooler than normal for this time of year which means high temperatures in the mid-40s for most of the week. I'm a wimp and want the temperature to be no lower than the high 50s if I'm going to walk outside. Maybe this week will be better.

I've been looking ahead for my reading calendar and am almost finished with May posts. June is a wide open page after I finish the review books listed below under Next Week. I have been looking at my TBR shelves and have a few more Liaden Universe books to listen to again before I run out. I also have 2 Audible credits to use and don't quite know how I want to use them. I'm thinking of getting more of the older books in the Mercedes Thompson books by Patricia Briggs which I have been wanting to reread anyway.

Read Last Week

If you can't wait until the review shows up on my blog, reviews are posted to LibraryThing and Goodreads as soon as I write them (usually right after I finish reading a book.)

  • Saltation by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller (Audiobook; Reread) - This is the 12th book in the Liaden Universe series.
  • Ghost Ship by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller (Audiobook; Reread) - This is the 14th book in the Liaden Universe series. (Thirteen is a sequel to book 6 and will probably be slotted in when I listen to that one again.)
  • Dragon Ship by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller (Audiobook; Reread) - This is the 15th book in the Liaden Universe series.  


  • Necessity's Child by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller (Audiobook; Reread) - This is the 16th book in the Liaden Universe series. 
  • Dragon in Exile by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller (Audiobook; Reread) - This is the 18th book in the Liaden Universe series. (Seventeen was actually a sequel to book 8 which I read and reviewed a little while ago.)
  • Murder at Rudhall Manor by Anya Wylde (Mine) - I got this one from the author who noticed that I enjoyed historical mysteries. This was that and was also quite a humorous story. I enjoyed the descriptions and the characters. My review will be posted on May 16.

DNF


  • A Spell for Trouble by Esme Addison (Review; June 9) - I abandoned this one at 50% when I realized that I had no desire to read anymore and kept picking up the next audiobook in my stack instead. I think this was a me problem more than a book problem. I didn't want to learn a new setting and meet new characters especially since it is apparently the first book in a series and a lot of time (too much?) was devoted to setting the scene and building the world. 

Currently

  • Hideaway by Nora Roberts (Review; May 26) - This one is very compelling. I've been reading all day and loving it.
  • Alliance of Equals by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller (Audiobook; Reread) - This is also great. I'm listening while walking and while playing computer games.

Next Week




Reviews Posted


Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?

These are all additions to my review stack.




What was your week like?

13 comments:

  1. Since starting to read on my Kindle, I have been adding lots of book to my "shelf" and am loving it! My daughter is working 2:30-11PM so she's been missing having dinner with the family. I try to pack her a nutritious "lunch" though. This will be her second full week of working. It was an adjustment for her and for me!

    Colletta

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad your brother is back to work and you had a nice time when he was home.

    Lots of good books here....ENJOY, and thanks for coming by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am with you, Kathy: too cold means no walking for me. I have Raynaud's, so if its too cold I need to wear gloves to walk. I like it to be at least 55 to take a stroll.

    So many good books on your list this week. I need to add some, like Murder at Rudhall Manor, to my wish list.

    Thanks for visiting my blog today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad your brother is getting back to work, but I'm sure it make your meal schedule more difficult. Have fun deciding what to get with those audible credits :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the look and sound of Hideaway. I haven't read Nora Roberts in a while.

    I am also drawn to The Cousins. Enjoy your week and shopping for the things you like.

    Stay safe, and thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find myself quickly abandoning books these days. I don't seem to have as much patience with books that take a while to build; I want to jump right into the story. I think it's just my mood right now.

    Those are cool temperatures for walking. I personally prefer walking in the 40s to walking in the 90s. You probably don't have a lot of days where you are walking in the 90s.

    Sending good thoughts and prayers to your brother for safety as he returns to work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hideaway looks really good. Its been a long time since I read anything by Nora Roberts.

    I hope you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, we got a few flakes of snow this week. Crazy weather! And I'm really excited for The Cousin-I've really enjoyed Karen M. McManus's books! Thanks for stopping by! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I still have pending reviews from March (two) and April (two. I am finding those hard going. I have many to read in May and also took on some classic reads to read in between the review books so nothing is going to get completely done. You are wonderfully organized to be able to look at June now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. All these books are new to me and perhaps Nora Roberts is the only author I have heard of. Like the fact that you are so organized about your reading. Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving your link.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I want to read the Nora Roberts book. All of your books look great! I admit I am am scared to go grocery shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It’s been chilly here this week too I’ll be picking up Cousins for my daughter, she’s been a fan of McManus’s books.

    Wishing you a great reading week, stay well x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Going to the grocery store is an interesting outing these days! I've mostly been avoiding it by using ClickList and picking up my order, but I never know what will be in stock.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!