Saturday, November 5, 2022

Book Review: Rock, Saber, Scissors by Dawn Dugle

Rock, Saber, Scissors

Author:
Dawn Dugle
Series: Saber Sisters (Book 1)
Publication: Aurora Publishing (November 1, 2021)

Description: A serial killer picked the wrong single mom to frame for murder.

My name is Celia Saber, and I need one more thing on my to-do list, like I need a hole in the head. I already work 60 hours a week and clean up life messes from my adult twin sons. Now - I'm the prime suspect in my ex-husband's murder.

To clear my name - I need help from my sexy summer fling who looks like The Rock's body double. The last time I saw Flint Mendota? I acted like a brazen hussy, then ghosted him.

Fun!

We might get a second chance at romance during a road trip from hell. But when a serial killer has you in their sights, dating over 40 can be deadly.

My Thoughts: This romantic suspense story begins a new trilogy within the author's world. Celia Saber is in her early 40s and has two grown sons and an ex who delights in causing trouble for her. 

When her sons trick her into a meeting with her ex, he is his usual self and plays his usual tune: he wants the trust fund that she had before they were married. When she objects, her sons, who are definitely pro-dad, leave her stranded at the venue without her purse or her phone.

She makes a call to Flint Mendota who works for her brother's security firm and with whom she had a brief fling. Flint, who fell completely in love with her, is quick to come to her rescue. Celia is something of a control freak and feels that her feelings for Flint wreck her control. But the sparks fly anyway.

When her ex-husband is found murdered, Celia finds herself at the top of the list of suspects. Octavio Cruz's current wife and business partner both have iron-clad alibis. And when it is learned that Celia is the heir to all of her husband's belongings, it looks even more likely that she killed him.

Celia is put on leave from her job with ICE until her ex's murder is solved. Flint is quick to add himself to the investigation and the two begin checking alibis and looking for suspects...and fighting their attraction to each other. Well, Celia is fighting it. Flint is willing to go all in.

Each chapter alternates between Flint and Celia's point of view and, occasionally, I had to look back at the chapter heading - along with the cute quote - to figure out which character was the "I" since their voices seemed so similar to me. 

This is a spicy romance with quite a bit of humor. Fans of that sort of story will enjoy this book.

Favorite Quote:
One suspect down.

Hundreds more to go.
I was alerted to this free title via a Bookbub email. You can buy your copy here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!