Saturday, May 29, 2010

ARC Review: Tyger Tyger by Kersten Hamilton

Tyger Tyger
Author: Kersten Hamilton
Publication: Clarion Books (November 15, 2010)
I got this one from NetGalley

Description: Teagan Wylltson's best friend, Abby, dreams that horrifying creatures--goblins, shape-shifters, and beings of unearthly beauty but terrible cruelty--are hunting Teagan. Abby is always coming up with crazy stuff, though, so Teagan isn't worried. Her life isn't in danger. In fact, it's perfect. She's on track for a college scholarship. She has a great job. She's focused on school, work, and her future. No boys, no heartaches, no problems.

Until Finn Mac Cumhaill arrives. Finn's a bit on the unearthly beautiful side himself. He has a killer accent and a knee-weakening smile. And either he's crazy or he's been haunting Abby's dreams, because he's talking about goblins, too . . . and about being The Mac Cumhaill, born to fight all goblin-kind. Finn knows a thing or two about fighting. Which is a very good thing, because this time, Abby's right. The goblins are coming.

My Thoughts: I really enjoyed this story. I liked Teagan. She was portrayed as a goal-driven and serious young lady who has decided that love can wait. It doesn't fit into the plan of getting into a veterinary medicine program. However, when Finn shows up and is introduced as a cousin by Tea's mother, her plans are derailed and not just because Finn is gorgeous and they have some chemistry between them. Finn is trailed by goblins, cat-sidhe and other creatures. When Tea's mother dies as a result of interference from the goblins and her father is kidnapped into the Mag Mell, Tea needs to find Finn to get his help to get her father back.

The secondary characters were also all interesting. Teagan's best friend Abby was a good character. She isn't academic like Teagen but she was a supportive and helpful friend. She also added a little comic relief to the story with her tendancy to use the wrong words in conversations. I also liked Teagen's younger brother Aiden. Aiden is about six years old. He is able to remember any song he hears. He also has a great sense of direction. He can always find his way home. Even though Tea would like to find a safe place for Aiden to stay while she and Finn try to rescue her fater, they must bring him because of his talents. He can sing a safe path and always find the way home.

I liked the mythology in the story. I haven't read anything else that is the same. The author says that she  based the mythology in the story on Irish mythology.

Challenges: 2010 YA Reading Challenge, 2010 E-Book Reading Challenge, RYOB Reading Challenge

6 comments:

  1. I really loved this book. I felt like while I liked Teagan, the amazing supporting characters are what made the book so great. I'm excited to see where she takes the story next.

    You can find the interview I did with the author here. She talks about why she picked Irish mythology and when the next book comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I downloaded this one from NetGalley as well, but haven't read it yet. So glad that you enjoyed it, as it sounds so good!

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one looks really good. Definitely on my wish list. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds really awesome and right up my alley. Thanks for the review!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen this book around but I couldn't make any sense out of the description, but after reading your review I think I'd like to give it a try. I can't even remember the last time I read a goblin book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This does sound fun.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!