Sunday, May 9, 2010

Review: Dead in the Family by Charlaine Harris

Dead in the Family
Author: Charlaine Harris
Publication: Ace Hardcover; 1 edition (May 4, 2010)
 
Description: After enduring torture and the loss of loved ones during the brief but deadly Faery War, Sookie Stackhouse is hurt and she's angry. Just about the only bright spot in her life is the love she thinks she feels for vampire Eric Northman. But he's under scrutiny by the new Vampire King because of their relationship. And as the political implications of the Shifters coming out are beginning to be felt, Sookie's connection to the Shreveport pack draws her into the debate. Worst of all, though the door to Faery has been closed, there are still some Fae on the human side-and one of them is angry at Sookie. Very, very angry...
 
My Thoughts: This can't help but be spoiler-y. Don't read on if you aren't up to date in this series.
 
Sookie is recovering from the battles and losses of the last book. Eric is under stress because of the new enforcer sent by the King of his territory. Sookie's relationship with Eric is going OK though until Eric's sire and his new brother arrive. The brother is insane yet his sire is reluctant to give him his true death and the emotions of all three vampires are being shared with Sookie. Most of the fae have gone away but some of the ones who have stayed want revenge on Sookie. Claude moves in, he says, so that he can be with someone else with fae blood. The weres have come out and the government wants to regulate them. Sookie's least favorite FBI agent has been told to back off but he still wants to get her for something. Bill has been poisoned with silver and isn't getting better.
 
On the plus side, Sookie's relationship with her brother is much better than it has ever been. This was a great episode and far less violent than the episodes that have preceded it. Sookie is less bright and cheery than she was at the beginning of the series. Lost innocence can't be regained. But she is trying very hard to regain her balance and her optimism.
 
This was a wonderful book that sucked me in and kept me reading late into the night. I couldn't put it down until my eyes just refused to stay open any longer.
 
Challenges: RYOB Reading Challenge
 

3 comments:

  1. Great review, glad to hear you loved it since I've heard alot of mixed reviews on this one. I have it, but I have a few ARC's I have to get done before I can get to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so need to get going on these books! I see them everywhere and haven't even read the first one yet! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really looking forward to reading this. Got sucked into the series earlier this year.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!