Friday, May 21, 2010

Review: Love in the Time of Dragons by Katie MacAlister

Love in the Time of Dragons
Publication: Signet; Original edition (May 4, 2010)

Description: When it comes to love, one woman is scaling back her expectations...

Tully Sullivan is just like any other suburban mom-except she's just woken up in a strange place surrounded by strange people who keep insisting that they're dragons-and that she's one too.

My Thoughts: I was between books and needed something quick to throw in my purse because I had appointments and thought I would be having some "down" time. This was an excellent romp. I found it very funny. The main character was definitely ADD. She apparently has no filter between her brain and her mouth and has the attention span of a butterfly. Of course, she wasn't alone in this. All of the characters seemed to be very easily distracted.

Tully, also known and Ysolde de Bouchier, awakens in the home of some silver dragons and is told that she is also a dragon. She does not believe them and thinks they are crazy. To add to the zaniness, she is also told that she is the mate to the dreaded black dragon Baltic. Baltic is known to be evil and is the bogeyman of all dragon cultures. Tully slips between visions of her past life and the current time as she tries to figure out what is going on. Baltic has been the villian in some of MacAlister's dragon books so it is interesting to see him as the hero of this one. He is a very unlikely hero as the quote at the end shows. Tully, however, is not the least afraid of him or of anyone. She is determined to force a peace between the warring septs and have Baltic become accepted by the other dragons.

Honestly, the plot was so convoluted that it can't be described in less than the 300+ pages of the book. If you can suspend belief and just go along for the ride the book is an enjoyable experience. I laughed out loud a number of times as I tore through this book. The descriptions were so entertaining. At one point, the dragons call a sarkany which is a very serious meeting to discuss things like war and deaths. However, Tully decides to make it into a party with champagne and appetizers. She comments to Baltic at one point that "This is like a bizarre love child of Martha Stewart and the Nuremburg Trials."

My Favorite Quote:
"Why on earth did I ever think you were a reasonable man?" I cried, slapping my hands on my legs.

He looked up from where he was about to remove my panties, honestly surprised. "I don't know. I'm not reasonable."
Recommended for the lover of fantasy and paranormal who wants a light, funny book.

Challenges: RYOB Reading Challenge

1 comment:

  1. I saw this book on Amazon and was wondering about it, it looked good.

    I'm following your blog now too ;)

    Paula
    Tomes Devotee

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!