Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Reading Habits Meme

Simcha at SFF Chat Blog came across this fun meme today at Floor to Ceiling Books (who got it from The World in the Satin Bag) about books and reading habits and I thought I would give it a shot myself.

Here I go...everything you ever wanted to know about my reading habits...

Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack:

I usually do snack while I'm reading. I favor chips or little candy bars depending on whether I'm craving salty or sweet.

What is your favorite drink while reading?

My favorite dring at all times is Diet Pepsi. I usually have one with me no matter what I am doing.

Do you tend to mark your books as you read, or does the idea of writing in books horrify you?

I never write in books. I even hated highlighting my college textbooks. I like my Kindle because I can make notes or highlights without permanently damaging the book.

How do you keep your place while reading a book? Bookmark? Dog-ears? Laying the book flat open?

I have a large bunch of bookmarks -- but I have been known to leave a book laying flat open if I'm just leaving in for a bit. I also have been known to leave it flat open over the back of my couch. I would never dog-ear a page in a book.

Fiction, nonfiction, or both?

99% of the books I read are fiction and generally genre fiction at that -- paranormal romance, urban fantasy, science fiction, mystery, romance

Are you a person who tends to read to the end of a chapter, or can you stop anywhere?

I prefer finding a stopping point like a change of scene within a chapter or a chapter end but I have also been known to stop in the middle of a sentence. When I begin reading again, I always start with the first sentence on the left hand page to catch up.

Are you the type of person to throw a book across the room or on the floor if the author irritates you?

I don't throw books. I gently close them and put them back on the TBR stack to try again another day. If it still irritates after a couple of tries, it goes into a bag to sell or donate.

If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you stop and look it up right away?

Context clues are usually enough. I do not stop to find a dictionary.

What are you currently reading?

Hard Magic by Laura Anne Gilman

What is the last book you bought?

Flight of the Outcast by Brad Strickland

Are you the type of person that reads one book at a time, or can you read more than one?

I read one book at a time before beginning another.

Do you have a favorite time/place to read?

My living room couch is my reading place. I read in the evenings when I get home from work (and most of the weekends).

Do you prefer series books or stand alones?

Both. I do like series books because I want to keep up with characters I care about. I pay more attention to the author and story than whether or not a book is part of a series or stand-alone.

Is there a specific book or author you find yourself recommending over and over?

I have been recommending Beautiful Creatures by Kami Stoll and Margaret Garcia to all of my students lately. To adults, I tend to recommend The Sharing Knife series by Lois McMaster Bujold or the Liaden Universe books by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller.

How do you organize your books?(by genre, title, author’s last name, etc.)

My books - even my TBR piles - are in alphabetical order by author (must be a librarian thing).


8 comments:

  1. I'm really enjoying reading the different answers everyone has for these questions. It's interesting how everyone's relationship with books is different. I also really enjoyed The Sharing Knife, though I found myself getting bored with the second book and I never got around to the third. Does it get better? I'm actually really surprised that I don't see more mentions of Lois Bujold around the blogosphere. In Israels she is one of the most popular genre writers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is neat. I love reading about how other people...read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this-it was fun to read all your answers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your answers! I still need to read Horizon by Lois McMaster Bujold, but haven't heard of Sharon Lee and Steve Miller. I'll have to check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing! I had fun reading your answers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved your answers! It's funny how many of us alphabetize our books by author's last name!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was so much fun!

    Here are my answers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for visiting my post. It really is interesting reading everyone's answers and getting insight into their relationship with books. Having super organized books must be a librarian thing!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!