Sunday, March 25, 2012

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? (March 26, 2012)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is a meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journey.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading, is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.



Last week turned out to be a good reading week for me. I finished six books. Admittedly, some of them were short. Since I was caught up on review books, I decided to dig in my TBR baskets and read some books for my TBR challenges.
I read Magic Under Stone by Jaclyn Dolamore which was a young adult fantasy and the sequel to her debut novel Magic Under Glass. I enjoyed it for the adventure but wasn't as happy with the progress of the romance. My review is here.

I also read My Name Is Not Easy by Debby Dahl Edwardson which was historical fiction taking place in the 1960s and centered around the Alaska Native children who were sent away from their homes to attend boarding schools. If a book can be both heartbreaking and hopeful, this one certainly qualifies. My review will be posted on March 31.
I read Hidden by Kelley Armstrong which is novella length and tells what happens when Elena, Clay and their twins try to have a family Christmas. My review is here.

I also read Obsidian (A Lux Novel) by Jennifer L. Armentrout. This YA features aliens, danger, a tempestuous romance, and a main character who is a teenage blogger. My review will be posted on March 29.
I dug deep in the TBR basket to find Chasing Fire by Nora Roberts. This romantic suspense novel features smoke jumpers as the main characters. I really loved it and stayed up late to finish it. My review will be published on March 31.

I also found another novella length story by Kelley Armstrong - Counterfeit Magic - while digging around for something interesting. It has been on the stack since November 2010. This one features Paige, Lucas and Samantha and deals with a case that comes to their investigations agency. It also deals with some marital adjustments that Paige and Lucas have to make. My review will be posted on March 29.
I am currently reading two books which is a bit unusual for me. I am writing this Sunday morning and taking A Perfect Storm by Lori Foster with me when I go to the Timberwolves game this afternoon. I have a couple of hours of bus ride each way that I can use for reading time. I'm taking this one both because it is next on my review stack and because it is a purse-sized paperback.

I started reading Beauty and the Werewolf by Mercedes Lackey which I found in my TBR stack last night. Currently I have read about a third of it. But it is a hardcover and won't fit in my purse. I don't want to have to carry a book with me that isn't a purse book because I'm afraid I'll lose it. I need to make sure I don't lose any of the 50 some students going with us and I don't want to worry about losing a book too. (Just kidding, we haven't lost any kids the previous years but I always worry.)
I have time to read one more young adult book from my TBR stack before I start my April review books. I have chosen Catching Jordan by Miranda Kinneally because I have heard good things about this story. I like the idea of a young woman being the quarterback of her high school football team. 

Then, I have You Can't Have My Planet, But Take My Brother, Please by James Mihaly. This middle grade science fiction story has been sitting on my review stack since last October. It will be published on April 10.
I got The China Gambit by Allan Topol from Erin at Meryl L. Moss Media Relations at the beginning of February and said I would review it in April. It is a thriller that is the start of a trilogy about a former CIA agent trying to thwart a plot by China for world domination.

I also got Until Next Time by Amy Lignor from Tribute books and have a scheduled posting date of April 12.  This is book one in a new young adult paranormal series titled The Angel Chronicles. 

This week doesn't look like it will be a very good reading week. 
  • Today - the Timberwolves, 
  • Monday -The Hunger Games movie after work, 
  • Tuesday - dentist appointment after work, 
  • Wednesday - a committee meeting after school and packing, 
  • Thursday - work half a day then drive to Grand Rapids (5 hours) for a conference, 
  • Friday - conference from noon to 9 PM, 
  • Saturday - conference until 3:30 PM and then driving back home, 
  • Sunday - collapse from all the wild activity.

What does your coming week look like?


13 comments:

  1. I have seen Until Next Time in a few places this week and it definitely caught my interest! There are so many amazing looking books in this post I'm not even sure where to begin! I hope you are able to fit a bit of reading time into your week - it looks like it will be a crazy one.

    Here is my Monday post:
    http://www.wordsathome.ca/2012/03/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-27.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your week ahead looks hectic. Lets hope next week will be better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will have to check out your review of Magic Under Stone. I liked Magic Under Glass but I'm not sure if I'll pick up the sequel. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on Catching Jordan. I have that one for review and the premise reminded me of Dairy Queen, which I loved.

    I watched The Hunger Games today and thought it was a fantastic adaptation of the book. Made me cry!

    I hope you have a great week and find some time to read and relax in your busy schedule!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathy fantastic looking reads! Enjoy Hunger Games!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have quite a list here. I like the looks of several and will have to check out your reviews. :-)
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband read Beauty and the Werewolf. My favorite read this week was the audio version of Shutter Island. Please come see what else I'm reading.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow what a great assortment of books to read this week! Can't wait to read your reviews!

    Glad to hear you really enjoyed "Chasing Fire" by Nora Roberts as much as I did!

    Enjoy your books!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you have a great reading week! Here's my link: http://writingchristiannovels.blogspot.com/2012/03/hosted-by-book-journey-here-is-what-i.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've add Obsidian to my TBR mountain, hope you get to it sometime soon, but as always I have wayyyyy too many books I wanna-have to read!

    Happy Reading!

    Here's my Monday Wrapup

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm reading Chasing Fire right now too. My friend and I are going to the first showing of The Hunger Games today...I've heard amazing things about it so far!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad someone else has weeks like me!! I always forget, but for some reason my March is that busy every week of the month. At least it is almost over. I think I am going to push Chasing Fire up closer to the top of my TBR. I love smoke jumper stories. Have you ever read Nicholas Evans The Smoke Jumper. Excellent book!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You had an awesome week, & nice mix of books lined up too! Enjoy The Hunger Games, I loved it!! Thanks for visiting my blog, I'm glad you liked The Kingdom, I'm really looking forward to it as I enjoyed the first book.
    Have a great week, it looks busy, and happy reading of course :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Mercedes Lackey - she's one of all my all-time favourite authors. That said, I can't help but feel that the Fairy Godmother series is one of her weakest. I haven't read Beauty and the Werewolf yet, but it is on my TBR.

    I have the new Elemental Masters book by Mercedes Lackey though, and I'm so excited about it :)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!