Monday, May 27, 2019

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (May 27, 2019)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is now hosted by Kathryn at The Book Date.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

I will be combining my YA and adult reading and purchases on this one weekly roundup.

Other Than Reading...

This was a pretty quiet week with lots of rain and cooler than normal temperatures. I got a phone call last Monday saying that Minnesota Power had approved our solar project and the contractor was ordering the panels from the warehouse and getting the city permits. He said installation might begin this week. I hope he is right. It will be nice to get the project done.

I have been reading lots. I have all but one review read and scheduled for June. The last one isn't read only because I don't have a copy of that June 4th release yet. I'm starting to fill in my July calendar. I have plans for what I'll be reading through the 18th. Then I'll be looking over TBR mountain to see what catches my eye. I also sorted my LibraryThing by date added and pulled a couple that I've had since I started LibraryThing in February 2008 to see if I still want to read them.

This is the week I work on my State of the Stack post about Review books. It shouldn't take long. I didn't have very many to read this month and I didn't add very many either. I do have 30 review books with publication dates from July 2019 to January 2020.

Read Last Week

If you can't wait until the review shows up on my blog, reviews are posted to LibraryThing and Goodreads as soon as I write them (usually right after I finish reading a book.)

  • The Outback Stars by Sandra McDonald (Mine since August 2011) - This space opera draws its inspiration from Australian mythology and was a fast-paced, action-packed story with engaging characters. My review will be posted on June 20.
  • Call It What You Want by Brigid Kemmerer (YA Review; June 25) - This YA contemporary was filled with angst and melodrama and I really loved it. It had great characters. My review will be posted on June 22.
  • Mr. Churchill's Secretary by Susan Elia MacNeal (Mine since February 2016) - This historical mystery begins a long-running series. I liked the characters and thought the setting was quite well done. My review will be posted on June 25.


  • Girls Like Us by Cristina Alger (Review; July 2) - Fast-paced and tension-filled thriller about an FBI Agent who comes home to bury her father and finds herself in the middle of a very tricky situation. My review will be posted on June 26.
  • The Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder by Joanna Fluke (Mine since March 2010) - I chose this one because it was set in Minnesota but wasn't reading many cozies when I got it. I liked it but found that it was a little dated. My review will be posted on June 29.
  • Mary Russell's War by Laurie R. King (Mine since October 2016) - This anthology sat on TBR mountain as many anthologies do until I was in the mood for these historical mysteries. I enjoyed the stories and now I want to reread the rest of the series. My review will be posted on June 27.


  • Sapphire Flames by Ilona Andrews (Review; August 27) - The 4th book in the Hidden Legacy series changes focus on Catalina Baylor who has assumed control of her family after her older sister's marriage and takes on a very difficult case. My review will be posted on Aug. 20.
  • Thrice Burned by Angela Misri (Mine) - 2nd in the Portia Adams historical mystery series. As the granddaughter of both Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson which she just learned, Portia is ready to be a consulting detective but she also wants to be a lawyer and keep her identity private. My review will be posted on July 3.

Currently


Next Week




Reviews Posted




Want to See What I Added My Stack Last Week?

Bought:



  • Princess Elizabeth's Spy by Susan Elia MacNeal (Print) - I enjoyed the first in the series and wanted to read more.
  • The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King (Kindle) - I recently read a book of short stories in this series but found that I didn't have a copy of the first book in the series. I want to reread it. 

Review:

  • Sapphire Flames by Ilona Andrews (August 27) - I asked for this highly anticipated upcoming title at Edelweiss and NetGalley and was pleased and surprised to be approved at both sites. 

What was your week like?

12 comments:

  1. Nicely done! All new to me reads in here though I am seeing of lot of Illona Andrews' book this week! I hope you enjoy your picks for this week!

    Here's my Monday Wrap-up

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m jealous that you are so far ahead! At most I only seem to manage a few days.

    Have a great reading week

    ReplyDelete
  3. GREAT that you are all about done with your June books. I have gotten behind since I was visiting family. :)

    LOVE the cover on THE BEEKEEPER'S APPRENTICE.

    GIRLS LIKE US sounds interesting.

    Thanks for sharing, and thanks for always stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As always a great selection. I hope the solar installation starts this week. The local schools here are all getting (or have gotten) solar. My weekly updates

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many great looking books. I keep trying to get on some kind of reading schedule and it doesn't seem to be working for me, but I keep trying. LOL Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Pawful Truth looks good. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are a highly organized person. Congratulations on getting everything done so nicely for your review work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am struggling to finish April and May reads. Life gets in the way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck with the solar project. I read several of the Joanna Fluke books -- way back when. Too bad the book seemed dated now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There are several houses in my neighborhood that have installed solar panels. I need to look into it more. I also want to get a rain barrel. Have a great week reading.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The solar project sounds great.
    It looks like you are doing a great job on TBRs. I always try to fit them in among the new NetGalley and audibles I am always getting.
    I have Mr. Churchill's Secretary in print to read.
    The Outback Stars looks like one I would like.
    Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!