Tuesday, May 2, 2023

Book Review: Undone by Rachel Caine

Undone

Author:
Rachel Caine
Series: Outcast Season (Book 1)
Publication: Ace; Original edition (December 17, 2008)

Description: Once she was Cassiel, a Djinn of limitless power. Now, she has been reshaped in human flesh as punishment for defying her master—and living among the Weather Wardens, whose power she must tap into regularly or she will die. And as she copes with the emotions and frailties of her human condition, a malevolent entity threatens her new existence...

My Thoughts: Cassiel has defied the ruler of the Old Djinn and been turned into a human dependent on the Wardens for her survival. She's assigned to Earth Warden Manny Rocha and sent to My New Mexico. 

Cassiel has a lot of adjustments to make. From being an all-powerful Djinn to a human dependent on others is quite a change. She also finds herself in a time of change for the Wardens and the Djinn and with an unknown enemy threatening. 

When Manny and his wife are gunned down and his five-year-old daughter Isabel kidnapped, Cassiel has to team up with Manny's brother Luis, a powerful Earth Warden, to find the missing child. That leads them to a much larger conspiracy than either of them had imagined and an old enemy with stunning new plans.

Cassiel is an intriguing character. I enjoyed watching her adjust to life as a human and come to appreciate humans. I liked her strong relationship with Isabel who pours out love and acceptance. I liked the worldbuilding in this new series set in the same universe as the Weather Wardens series. 

I enjoyed this urban fantasy story. My only complaint is that it is the first book of four and has a cliffhanger ending and tons of unresolved plot threads. 

Favorite Quote:
I slept very little, tormented by the memories of Manny and Angela lying dead, by the haunting sounds of Isabel's tears, by the touch of Luis's hands as they healed my injuries. These things were anchors, weighing me down. As a Djinn, I had been weightless, and without ties or cares, and that seemed far away now. Unreachable. All around me, the sounds of the human world roared on, and I found no peace within or without.
I bought this one February 6, 2009. You can buy your copy here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!