Monday, May 15, 2023

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (May 15, 2023)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is now hosted by Kathryn at The Book Date.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

I will be combining my YA and adult reading and purchases on this one weekly roundup.

Want to See What I Added to My Stack? links to Stacking the Shelves hosted by Marlene at Reading Reality.

Other Than Reading...

Spring has finally arrived in my part of Minnesota. The grass is nicely green from the heat and the rain. Wednesday, we hit 81F, but the temperatures have cooled down again to the mid 50s. We had a few cloudy, rainy days, but today is gorgeously sunny.

My doctor's appointment for Thursday was changed by the doctor to this Monday. So, I have that on my schedule. Also, on the schedule are waiting for the tree service to come Tuesday morning to deal with the fallen trees and stumps from the hard winter. Wednesday the lawn care company will come and do the first spray of fertilizer and weed killer which is a sign that Spring has really arrived. 

I finally read Ex Libris which has been on my stack since 2009. It made me think a lot about what kind of reader I am since I am very clearly not the same kind as Anne Fadiman. "Literary" and "Classic" are two descriptors that raise red flags for me and send me running in any other direction. I am a genre reader. Just about any genre will do. I've read romances of all sorts and still do once in a while. I've read science fiction of all sorts and still do though mainly by my favorite authors. Lately, I find that I'm reading more mysteries of all sorts than any other genre. 

I am revisiting my past favorite genres as I try to read books that have been on my TBR pile the longest. As I'm looking at my unread books from 2009, I'm seeing lots of paranormal and urban fantasy titles. It will be interesting to see if they are still to my taste.

This coming week should see me finally completing my reread of the In Death series. The next one (Book 57) will be released in September. This rereadathon is another clue to the kind of reader I am. I love reading series. I have quite a few in progress and enjoy catching up with favorite characters as I read each new book. 

I've been working on my June calendar and have already slotted in a number of old books around my review copies. I haven't added any audiobooks to the calendar yet as I am waiting to see what kind of story I want to listen to. I generally like to plan ahead but am trying to be a little bit more impulsive in my reading choices. 

Read Last Week

If you can't wait until the review shows up on my blog, reviews are posted to LibraryThing and Goodreads as soon as I write them (usually right after I finish reading a book.)
  • A Killer's Game by Isabella Maldonado (Review; June 1) -- Start of a new thriller series starring former Army Ranger and current FBI Agent Danielle Vega. Packed with action. My review will be posted on May 23.
  • Abandoned in Death by J. D. Robb (Audiobook; Reread) -- In Death 54
Currently
  • Unknown by Rachel Caine (Paperback mine since February 2, 2010)
  • Desperation in Death by J. D. Robb (Kindle mine since September 6, 2022; Audiobook new)
Next Week
  • The Cipher by Diana Pharaoh Francis (Paperback mine since July 8, 2009; Audiobook new)
  • The Queen's Weapons by Anne Bishop (Kindle; mine since February 7, 2023)
  • Beyond the Rain by Jess Granger (Paperback mine since August 18, 2009)
Reviews Posted
Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?

Review:
Bought:
What was your week like?

11 comments:

  1. I'm glad you are finally getting to see green grass and the weather is better. Good luck with your doctor's appointment. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think there are books that are "literary" and "classic" that I like and some that I don't like. I do not have an English lit background, and I've always hesitated before taking on a big, challenging book. But I finally dared to read Moby Dick and then Anna Karenina and War and Peace, and I found that all three of these were amazing stories, especially when I read them slowly and used any sorts of helps I could find online.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope your appointment goes smoothly. I love fairies and magic in general. I already had Emily Wilde's Encyclopedia of Faeries on my TBR and now I want to read it even more. First Truth looks excellent, so I just added it to my TBR. I also have Summer Reading on my TBR. Lots of good stuff here!! Have a great week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember reading Ex Libris many years ago and loved it. You're right, it does get you thinking about what and why you're reading. Might be a good idea for me to get it out again. Hooray for spring!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad spring has arrived for you and here in Ohio as well! I'm amazed at how many books you read - different genres from what I usually read. :-) Ex Libris looks like an interesting read to me, just because it's different from what I generally prefer as well. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh nice! Some new to me ones other than Caine's series! Hope you enjoy your reads lined up for this week!



    Here's my Monday Wrap-up

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to read more urban fantasy too although still not a ton. I've been curious lately how they'd read for me now as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad to hear spring has sprung in your neck of the woods.

    I'm not a classics reader either. Genre all the way.

    So many of your books sound amazing this week. Hope you enjoy them. Thanks for sharing and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Same, literary and classic are words are just about the opposite of my reading tastes! Thanks for stopping by! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love series and rereads (and I enjoyed Ex Libris). I like the occasional literary or classic book, so I'm glad that I'm in a bookclub that throws one in every year or so to motivate me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope you have enjoyed more sunny days this week! I am enjoying the spring weather here and being able to open the windows for at least part of the day.

    I enjoyed Ex Libris and did a whole blog series on it, if I remember right. This was years ago. I read a wide variety--classics and literary fiction, included--but I tend to be a genre reader more often than not.

    Fifty-seven books in the In Death series. Wow. I think I've listened to two.

    I've enjoyed Rachel Caine's books, although I don't think I've read that particular series. I enjoy Anne Bishop's writing quite a bit, although it's been awhile since I last read anything by her. Cipher is on my TBR. I have heard mixed things about it and am curious to know what you will think of it when you read it. Booked for Murder looks like it will be a fun one.

    I hope you enjoy all of your reading! I hope you had a great week and enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!