Friday, January 5, 2024

Friday Memes: Northwoods by Amy Pease

 Happy Friday!


Book Beginnings is hosted by Gillion at Rose City Reader. She asks that the first sentence is posted along with the author and title of the book and the reader's initial thoughts on the sentence, the book, or anything else it inspires. 
Carrie at Reading Is My Superpower.org also provides a linky for sharing first lines and connecting with others. This meme asks that the chosen books be PG or marked as Mature if they are not. 

The Friday 56 is hosted by Freda at Freda's Voice. This meme is currently on hiatus but many of us are still including a sentence from page 56 or from 56% of the ebook. Anne @ Head Full of Books is picking up the slack until Freda is ready to return. I think this link will get you to the correct place

Beginning:
Eli North stripped off his clothes and waded into the water. The lake muck cushioned his feet, and, when he was in up to his chest, he rested his plastic travel mug on the water's surface and let his feet drift upward. He had always been good at floating.
Friday 56:
Eli was surprised to hear a laugh escape his throat, and a dry smile tugged at the corner of Alyssa's lips. Then, from around the building, came the sudden, violent, vaguely musical screams of the Dropkick Murphys.
This week I am spotlighting Northwoods by Amy Pease. This book is from my review stack. I was drawn to the setting - the Northwoods of Wisconsin - since it is close to the place I live.

Here's the blurb from Amazon:
The dark underbelly of an idyllic Midwestern resort town is revealed in the aftermath of a murder with ties to America’s opioid epidemic in this unputdownable and thrilling debut that is perfect for fans of James Lee Burke, William Kent Krueger, and Mindy Mejia.

Eli North is not okay.

His drinking is getting worse by the day, his emotional wounds after a deployment to Afghanistan are as raw as ever, his marriage and career are over, and the only job he can hold down is with the local sheriff’s department. And that’s only because the sheriff is his mother—and she’s overwhelmed with small town Shaky Lake’s dwindling budget and the fallout from the opioid epidemic. The Northwoods of Wisconsin may be a vacationer’s paradise, but amidst the fishing trips and campfires and Paul Bunyan festivals, something sinister is taking shape.

When the body of a teenage boy is found in the lake, it sets in motion an investigation that leads Eli to a wealthy enclave with a violent past, a pharmaceutical salesman, and a missing teenage girl. Soon, Eli and his mother, along with a young FBI agent, are on the hunt for more than just a killer.

If Eli solves the case, could he finally get the shot at redemption he so desperately needs? Or will answers to this dark case elude him and continue to bring destruction to the Northwoods?


4 comments:

  1. Looks like an interesting book. I might have to add it to my TBR list for the year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can tell by the opening quote that I want to read this book because I was disappointed that you hadn't included more of the opening. Off to look for it...

    Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that cover. The opening gives one a false sense of comfort given what the book is about--easing the reader in. I like that. I hope you enjoy it, Kathy! Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Friday!
    I'm just beginning The Earl Next Door by Ashtyn Newbold. I'm excited to read it. Newbold is such a fun author!
    "Is it kindness or folly that might induce a genteel young lady to approach a gentleman to inform him of such a personal matter as a tear in his breeches?"
    I hope you have a great weekend filled with relaxing reading time. 😊

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!