Monday, January 29, 2024

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (January 29, 2024)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is now hosted by Kathryn at The Book Date.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

I will be combining my YA and adult reading and purchases on this one weekly roundup.

Want to See What I Added to My Stack? links to Stacking the Shelves hosted by Marlene at Reading Reality.

Other Than Reading...

This was a nice week. We are in the middle of a January thaw which gave my brother a chance to get the snow off the solar panels. In fact, I just heard some more slide off and fall to the sidewalk as I was preparing this post. We didn't make any power at all from January 5 - January 25. Lest you think we are sitting here in the dark and the cold, our system is tied into the local power grid. When we don't make power, we pull from the grid. When we do, the power is fed into the grid and decreases our monthly bill. 

There is no snow in this week's forecast and temperatures will remain above average. However, it is still going to be at least partly cloudy which will limit the amount of solar power we generate. While a sunny day is predicted for today, right now it is cloudy and a little foggy. I want some sunshine!

This week should be another quiet one. I do have one appointment for Thursday which will get me out of the house long enough to visit my clinic for my 3-month blood draw. Maybe I'll get some shopping done that day. I do need to get license tabs for my car before the end of February. 

I've spent a lot of time listening to audiobooks this past week. I had the first of Mercedes Lackey's Collegium Chronicles on my calendar and liked it so much that I added the rest of the 5-book story arc to my calendar too. I read these when they were first published and own the hardcovers. I may even have reviewed them here or on my YA blog in 2010 or so. I think it's time to review them again. 

All of this listening is putting me a bit behind on my review copies though - at least by my standards. I like to have a review scheduled well in advance of when it will show up on my calendar. I need to stop listening to audiobooks for a while and catch up. And I will right after I finish Bastion...

Last week my brother was home for dinner every day and we cooked. This week not so much. His shifts have changed from 9AM - 4PM to 3PM - 10PM. I'm on my own for dinner and have no idea what I'll be making yet especially since we'll likely be eating something dinner-ish before he goes to work. 

Read Last Week
  • Shield's Lady by Jayne Ann Krentz (Audiobook) -- This is a reread of one of Krentz's early science fiction romances from 1989. It was enjoyable and had Krentz's typical characters - self-sufficient, goal-driven, and reluctant to fall in love. My review will be posted on February 20.
  • Foundation by Mercedes Lackey (Chirp Audiobook) -- This is the first in the Collegium Chronicles which introduces Mags who is an orphan of unknown parentage raised in a mine under a cruel master and who is Chosen to become a Herald of Valdemar. My review will be posted on February 15.
  • The Last Graduate by Naomi Novik (Mine) -- This is the middle book in the Scholomance trilogy which sees El find friends and allies and forge a plan to free all the children from the Scholomance. My review will be posted on February 10.
  • Intrigues by Mercedes Lackey (Chirp Audiobook) -- This is the second in the Collegium Chronicles and tells the story of Mags who was a slave in a mine and is now on track to become a Herald of Valdemar. My review will be posted on February 22. 
  • The Golden Enclaves by Naomi Novik (Mine) -- This story finishes the Scholomance Trilogy which is a much darker version of Harry Potter but without adult influences. My review will be posted on February 24.
  • Changes by Mercedes Lackey (Chirp Audiobook) -- This is the third in the Collegium Chronicles. My review will be posted on February 29.
  • Murder by Lamplight by Patrice McDonough (Review; February 20) -- Debut author; historical mystery set in 1860s. Female doctor joins police inspector in solving a series of gruesome homicides. My review will be posted on February 13.
  • Redoubt by Mercedes Lackey (Audiobook Reread) -- This 2012 release is the fourth in the Collegium Chronicles. I own the hardcover and read it first when it was published. I'm enjoying the adventure even more since I don't have to wait a year or two in between episodes. My review will be posted on March 7.
Currently
Next Week
Reviews Posted
Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?

Review:
Bought:
  • Bastion by Mercedes Lackey (Kindle & Audiobook)
  • Redoubt by Mercedes Lackey (Kindle & Audiobook)
What was your week like?

13 comments:

  1. Boy, you sure have been busy, Kathy. I'm glad you enjoyed your reads last week. Have a wonderful week ☕📚🪱😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still need to read The Golden Enclaves. I told myself after I finished the second book in the series, I would jump right into that one, but I didn't. One of these days! Murder by Lamplight sounds really good. I think I might like that one. I hope you have a great week, Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had some rain and snow, but it's expected to be a cloudy but dry week ahead. Hope your appointment and reading goes well. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    https://thebookconnectionccm.blogspot.com/2024/01/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-and_0166715305.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your books look so good. I have to read that series by Diane Kelly. I haven't started yet. I've read other series by this author and enjoyed them. Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you're getting a respite from the snow and cold, and the solar panels can produce some power again! Your books this week look good - happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm always amazed at how many books you read. Keep on trucking!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you had a good week! It thawed here, too, but it's going to snow again on Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh nice! I can't wait to get back to Kelley's series! Really any of her series! I am so behind on them all! Lol. Hope you enjoy your reads for this week!


    Here's my Monday Wrap-up

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks like you’ve had a busy week! I hope you enjoy your new books.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoy your reads and have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I used to read a lot of Jayne Ann Krentz's books. I kind of forgot about her. I'll have to check out some of her books again.

    Have a great week and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Kathy, I see that you are like me. Sometimes when I get into a series, I just can't stop til I am done. I'm especially bad when I find something on Netflix. I binge til I finish all that's available.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yeah for a thaw, and a good week! I hope you enjoyed the Scholomance series! Thanks for stopping by! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!