Friday, January 19, 2024

Friday Memes: Some Danger Involved by Will Thomas

 Happy Friday!


Book Beginnings is hosted by Gillion at Rose City Reader. She asks that the first sentence is posted along with the author and title of the book and the reader's initial thoughts on the sentence, the book, or anything else it inspires. 
Carrie at Reading Is My Superpower.org also provides a linky for sharing first lines and connecting with others. This meme asks that the chosen books be PG or marked as Mature if they are not. 

The Friday 56 is hosted by Freda at Freda's Voice. This meme is currently on hiatus but many of us are still including a sentence from page 56 or from 56% of the ebook. Anne @ Head Full of Books is picking up the slack until Freda is ready to return. I think this link will get you to the correct place

Beginning:
If someone had told me, those many years ago, that I would spend the bulk of my life as assistant and eventual partner to one of the most eminent detectives in London, I would have thought him a raving lunatic.
Friday 56:
Barker rummaged around in his coat, and for a moment, I saw him through Da Silva's eyes. Were I the caretaker of this ediface, I'd look twice at this tall dark-spectacled stranger. He finally produced the carte de visite Sir Moses had given him and explained in a few words his purpose in coming.
This week I am spotlighting Some Danger Involved by Will Thomas. I bought this historical mystery May 19, 2021, and it got lost on my Kindle until it was brought to my attention again when I saw it reviewed at Head Full of Books.

Here the blurb from Amazon:
An atmospheric debut novel set on the gritty streets of Victorian London, Some Danger Involved introduces detective Cyrus Barker and his assistant, Thomas Llewelyn, as they work to solve the gruesome murder of a young scholar in London's Jewish ghetto.

When the eccentric and enigmatic Cyrus Barker takes on the recent murder case of a young scholar in London's Jewish ghetto, he realizes that he must hire an assistant, and out of all who answer an ad for a position with "some danger involved," he chooses downtrodden Llewelyn, a gutsy young man with a murky past.

As they inch ever closer to the shocking truth behind the murder, Llewelyn is drawn deeper and deeper into Barker's peculiar world of vigilante detective work, as well as the heart of London's teeming underworld. Brimming with wit and unforgettable characters and steeped in authentic period detail, Some Danger Involved is a captivating page-turner that introduces an equally captivating duo.


7 comments:

  1. Not sure if I would like this or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I want to know more. Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: BOOKISH FRIDAY

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds intriguing. You can see mine here Have a great weekend 😊

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love mysteries set in Victorian London and really enjoyed the excerpts. I will have to check this author out. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Saturday!

    I’m currently reading Sadie and the Bad Boy Billionaire by Emma St. Clair and Jenny Proctor. It’s super cute!
    “I don’t want to be impressed with Benedict’s boat. Yacht. I don’t want to be impressed with his yacht. But honestly, this thing is gorgeous.”
    I hope you have a great weekend full of fun reading time! 😊

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!