Monday, January 8, 2024

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (January 8, 2024)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is now hosted by Kathryn at The Book Date.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

I will be combining my YA and adult reading and purchases on this one weekly roundup.

Want to See What I Added to My Stack? links to Stacking the Shelves hosted by Marlene at Reading Reality.

Other Than Reading...

This was another quiet week for me. We finally got a few inches of snow which makes it look more like winter here. The coming week has some snow in the forecast most days but no big snowstorm. My brother has gone out to snow blow the driveway only to find out that the snowblower won't start. He's still puttering trying to get it to work. Sunday isn't a good day to find anyone to help him out. **Success! He got it started and is blowing snow. 

I've spent most of the week reading what I want. I'm closer to finishing the Kris Longknife series since I have only two books to go. I've also been skipping around in the In Death series and listening to some of my favorites. I also published my State of the Stack post for December.

2023 Report

I read 425 books last year totaling 147,288 pages. 272 were mine including 128 rereads. I listened to 142 audiobooks for 1,593 hours of listening. I read 153 review copies. 316 of the books and audiobooks were mysteries from cozy to creepy. I averaged 35 books/audiobooks a month. January and March were my best months with 42 books each. My lowest month was September when I still read 30 books. 

I added 653 books to my LibraryThing account including 161 review copies and 180 audiobooks. I started a new category named Reread for books I already own but bought in another format. Lots of my new books in the Reread category were audiobooks. The rest were Kindle copies. I don't think I read more than a couple of print books this past year. If I was tempted by something from my physical TBR mountain, I checked to see if a Kindle copy was available and bought it.

The first book I bought this year was Say You're Sorry by Karen Rose. It was a BookBub deal for $1.99. I had reviewed it in 2019 but didn't own a copy. The last book I bought in 2023 was Alien Pilot Needs a Nanny by Tasha Black. It was also from a BookBub newsletter and was free. I haven't read it yet, but I love the title. Along the way I bought 74 other BookBub deals and 70 Kindle Daily Deals. 

341 of my 2023 additions to the collection are still marked TBR. My total TBR pile sits at 2528 but I am in the process of removing books I will never get around to reading from my physical TBR shelves. The pile on the floor are the ones I don't think I'll ever read. Now I have to check if any of the used bookstores in town want them. 
 
Here's what those shelves look like mid-rearranging.
I had rearranged them by the year I bought them but decided straight alphabetical order worked better for me. If I want to look for my oldest ones which I sometimes do, I can just sort my To Read collection on LibraryThing by Date Added and choose from there. I'm hoping to consolidate enough to have one of the sections empty so that I can bring some books from my downstairs library up to these shelves in my living room to free up some space in the downstairs library which is very crowded.


Shifting books around looks to be a long-term project for 2024.

Read Last Week

  • Kris Longknife Admiral by Mike Shepherd (Mine since 10/12/22) -- This is the 16th in 19-book series of space operas. My review will be posted on January 27.
  • Kris Longknife Commanding by Mike Shepherd (Mine since 10/12/22) -- This is the 17th in the Kris Longknife series of space operas. My review will be posted on March 2.
  • The Tainted Cup by Robert Jackson Bennett (Review; February 6) -- This excellent fantasy mystery begins a new series. Intriguing characters and great worldbuilding. My review will be posted on January 30.
Currently
Next Week
Reviews Posted
Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?

Review:
Bought:
Chirp had a sale!
What was your week like?

15 comments:

  1. How I wish I could read as much as you do. It seems that time is never there to read and I would love to have a library in my home. My husband and I just talked about that the other day. I just finished reading one book and I have started another one and it is only the second week of January so things are looking up as far as time to read goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had such a great reading year iin 2023. Those book shelves look amazing. When I had physical books, I always loved organizing and re-organizing them. I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad he got the blower working. Always seems to be something right? Your shelves look great and you read so many books last year - you rock. I hope to read The Heiress soon. Hope you have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad the snowblower started up! You had a great reading year, Kathy! Way to go! I love looking at other people's bookshelves. Thank you for sharing yours!

    The Antique Hunter's Guide to Murder sounds good. I hope you are enjoying it! I hope you have a great week and enjoy your reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! That's a lot of books you read! Looking back at Goodreads, my heyday had 200 as the most for one year and that likely included a short story or two! Lol! I love the look of your shelves! There's so many of them! I hope to have lots of shelves one day once I can find an affordable house!

    Nice lineup of reads too! Nearly all new to me ones but I hope you enjoy the ones lined up for this week!


    Here's my Monday Wrap-up

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We got a little dusting but it all melted. It's just gray here.

    Love the bookshelf pics!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on reading 425 books! I wish I had shelves like yours. I'd actually have space for all my books.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad he got the snowblower working. Shoveling snow is tough. We got 13 inches, but since we were in NC, the plow guy came.

    Congratulations on your 2023 reading. Very impressive. I've always admired your organization and ability to get things done.

    Here's to a great 2024! Thanks for visiting my blog today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a lot of books in your collection and in your 2023 stats. Good for you! Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so glad we don't have to deal with snow blowers!

    Your books look good, and I love the look of the shelves. I used to have a lot more bookshelves, but I have a smaller space now, so I'm satisfied. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on a fabulous year of reading.
    I’m deeply envious of your shelves!

    Wishing you a great reading week

    ReplyDelete
  12. Woo hoo! Moving around books on bookshelves is a huge project!

    Congratulations on all your 2023 reading!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like some pretty great stats for 2023! And good luck with the reorganizing, books are so dear, but physical ones can be quite a pain to move around! Thanks for stopping by! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You were able to read so many books! That's awesome.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!