Monday, January 1, 2024

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (January 1, 2024)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is now hosted by Kathryn at The Book Date.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

Want to See What I Added to My Stack? links to Stacking the Shelves hosted by Marlene at Reading Reality.

Other Than Reading...

Happy New Year! My week was a quiet one. We finally got some snow on Saturday, and it is still on the ground as I'm writing this Sunday morning. The temperatures forecasted for this week means that it should stay on the ground. There is a potential for more snow next Thursday but otherwise it should just be a nice week. 

I spent the week listening to a variety of my favorite books from the In Death series since I had finished all my January review copies and didn't feel like starting the February releases. I will have to start reading February review copies this week since I have 15 on my stack. 

I tried a couple of new recipes this week. I made a Ham & Wild Rice crockpot soup to use up some of the leftover Christmas ham. I also made some ham salad and still have some of the ham left! I made a Buttermilk Chocolate cake and still have some buttermilk. Some of it will go into a new cornbread recipe since I think cornbread will go well with the soup. I also made a quick batch of pickled beets and onions. 

Since my brother works until 8 tonight, he bought some Chinese food yesterday so that he'd have a quick meal to heat up when he gets home. I'll likely be having Chinese today too perhaps when I'm watching the Minnesota Vikings - Green Bay Packers football game this evening. 

I'm not doing my 2023 stats until tomorrow. I might just finish another book before the year ends. Or I might not... My 2024 spreadsheet is ready. I have a number in mind for my Goodreads goal. And I certainly have a stack of books from which to choose for my 2024 reading.

I do have a few New Year's Resolutions:
  1. Finish the series I've started
  2. Lower TBR mountain
  3. Limit Review books to 10 per month
Read Last Week
  • Of Hoaxes and Homicides by Anastasia Hastings (Review; January 30) -- Second in a cozy historical mystery series. My review will be posted on January 23.
  • Kris Longknife: Emissary by Mike Shepherd (Mine since October 13, 2022) -- Fifteenth in the Kris Longknife series of space operas. My review will be posted on January 24.
Currently
Next Week
Reviews Posted
Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?

Review:

Bought:
What was your week like?

12 comments:

  1. Oh nice! I love ham salad...particularly Honey Baked Ham's version of it. I tried making it myself once, but I still needed HBH's special mustard or something like that to get the right flavoring. Haven't quite figured out a recipe that doesn't require making a trip to HBH though! Lol.

    Nice lineup of reads! These are all new to me ones but I hope you enjoy your reads lined up for the week!


    Here's my Monday Wrap-up

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year! Can't go wrong with the In Death series and they are wonderful on audio. Just finished Payback in Death.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice reads here. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year! Wow, you already finished January's books. That's great. Those resolutions are good ones. I could easily have the same list. Good luck with them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy new year! Sounds like you have a great reading plan in place for 2024. My spreadsheet is together and my Goodreads challenge number is in my mind as well.

    Wishing you a new year filled with good books and blessings.

    https://thebookconnectionccm.blogspot.com/2024/01/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-and.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have been busy cooking and it all sounds very good.You certainly picked up some great looking books on the Kindle daily deal. Wishing you a very happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New Year, Kathy! It sounds like you are ready for 2024. Good luck on your new year's resolutions! They sound very doable. I hope you are enjoying your reading! I really hope to get to The Once and Future Witches this year. Have a great week and year, Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy New Year, Kathy. The soup looks delicious. I had to chuckle at limiting to 10 review books per month. I didn't make 10 author reviews all of last year although I did if you count NetGalley. Your organization always impresses me.
    Lots of good reading for you. I hope 2024 kicks off well for you. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. this year I'm not creating huge lists of books to read. I've decided to just set goals for numbers of nonfiction, Canadian authors, & Indigenous authors. Right now I'm in the middle of listening to Determined by Robert Sapolsky. At 17 hours, it's already a long listen, but it's going to take me much longer since I keep having to go back and listen to parts of it again to make sure I understand it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck with your goals! My husband is a tried and true Miami Dolphins fan. Last week's game was a heartbreaker for him. Wish him luck this week for the playoffs! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've always wanted to read the In Death books. I hope to get to them soon. I also love Nora Roberts! Havent read anything by her in awhile. Definitely need to pick something up. Hope you are having a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah for a good New Year. And good resolutions, there's so many books on my TBR, but there's always new books, and rereads! Thanks for stopping by! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!