Monday, January 15, 2024

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (January 15, 2024)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is now hosted by Kathryn at The Book Date.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

I will be combining my YA and adult reading and purchases on this one weekly roundup.

Want to See What I Added to My Stack? links to Stacking the Shelves hosted by Marlene at Reading Reality.

Other Than Reading...

Well, winter has arrived in my part of Minnesota. It snowed almost every day this past week. We only got about 3.5 inches, but it made the roads interesting while it was falling. Now the cold has arrived. It was -10F when I got up this morning. We are supposed to have highs only reaching zero for at least the beginning part of the upcoming week. We are also under a wind chill advisory through Tuesday noon. Current wind chill is -31F. Luckily, I have no reason to go out any time this week. I have plenty to eat and plenty to read. 

I spent some time this week starting the rearranging of my library that I've been talking about for months. 

While putting my TBR mountain back into alphabetical order, I removed a couple of grocery bags of books that I no longer have any desire to read. I was able to talk my brother into taking me through the falling snow to two of the local used bookstores to get rid of them. I ended up with $60 of credit which I doubt I'll ever use since I so seldom read print books these days. I had only planned on visiting one of the stores and cherrypicked the books I thought they would accept. They took about half leading me to visit the second store which took all the rest of the first bag. Since I still have another full bag, I need to make another visit to the second store to get rid of them as soon as I can convince my brother to take me there. That could take a while since he has to be off work and appointment-free on a day the store is open. 

Here's what my living room shelves look like now.
The far-left section contains books I moved upstairs from my library and includes authors from A to Bri. The other two sections are my remaining print TBR mountain. I also moved some books in my guest room which contains the end of the alphabet. That collection now starts with Nora Roberts and ends with Mark Richard Zubro. 

Here's the guestroom now:



All that is left to do is space out the books in the library to take advantage of the empty shelves which I should be able to do in one day and can do while listening to my current audiobook. That's on the agenda for this week. 

I'm not sure if it is an advantage or not, but I'm finding lots of books I would like to reread while I'm doing the shifting of books. That shouldn't be a surprise because liking a book enough to reread it is one of the reasons it got on my keeper shelves in the first place.

This week I plan to continue dipping into the J. D. Robb audiobooks and reading a few more February review copies. I have finished my reread/listen to the whole Amelia Peabody series and can check that one off my list.

I still have a number of series in progress including the Meg Langslow mysteries by Donna Andrews and the Andy Carpenter mysteries by David Rosenfelt and a Chirp sale or two added a couple more series to my series lists. I've read the first two of Andrea Penrose's Wrexford & Sloane historical mysteries, but the audiobooks which were on sale at Chirp this week continue the series through book six.

Last week I got the first six of Julia Spencer-Fleming's currently nine book series of contemporary mysteries from Chirp which would be rereads in preparation for her newest book which she has almost finished writing. I do have all of the series in print copies in my keeper collection.

Read Last Week

  • The Antique Hunter's Guide to Murder by C. L. Miller (Review; February 6) -- Debut mystery concerning a woman reclaiming her exciting past after years with a man who damaged her self-esteem. Multiple shifts in point of view in this story. My review will be posted on January 30.
  • Hollywood Hustle by Jon Lindstrom (Review; February 6) -- Debut thriller about an actor who needs to rescue his drug addict daughter from kidnappers. Interesting characters. My review will be posted on January 31.
  • A Killer Romance by Maggie Blackburn (Review; February 6) -- Third in a cozy mystery series takes place at Beach Reads during Valentine's Day week. The guest author is found dead of poisoning in her room at the local B&B after the event and one of the employees of Beach Reads is the prime suspect. My review will be posted on January 31.
Currently
Next Week
Reviews Posted
Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?

Review:
Bought:
What was your week like?

19 comments:

  1. I am currently reading three books. I am reading The Boxcar Children for the Tea and Ink Society Classics Challenge. I am reading Do It Anyways Girl by Michelle Cunningham to help with my direct sales business and the craft business I hope to start, and I am reading Lonestar Secrets by Colleen Cobble. It is a book that has been on my bookshelf for quite a while, and I decided to jump in and read. It is quite good so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh goodness! I can't imagine living in a place where it is so cold! I admire you for your fortitude, Kathy!

    It's funny how looking at books can inspire you to reread them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am always in awe of your reading. And congratulations on weeding out some of your books. I try to do that every once in a while. Stay warm and happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love organizing my shelves. I just donate books I no longer want to the library. I don't need credit to buy even more books and whether they add them to their collection or sell them, I feel like I'm helping the libraries I love.

    Those temps! I truly couldn't do it. We're supposed to be about 10 degrees a couple of nights this week. I have no idea what the wind chill will be, but it will not be anything like 31 below, thank goodness!

    Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brrr! I thought my 31 degrees was bad. Organizing books and shelves makes me happy. How do you like Chirp versus Audible?

    Hope you have a great week. Thanks for visiting my blog today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah we're in a bit of cold snap down here too! Single digit temps which is a new high for us! At least I feel like it is! Lol. I didn't mind one bit since I just snuggled with a lot of blankets and read for most of the day!

    Nice lineup of reads too! All totally new to me ones from the looks of it but I hope you enjoyed and enjoy them all!


    Here's my Monday Wrap-up

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That just sounds too cold for me. So many good books on your list. I'm reading Deadly to the Core now and really liking it. Hope you have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. As long as you have a nice warm house and plenty of books to get you through the winter! Hope your cold temps don't last too long. And here I was being a baby about our cold temps today -- low of 20 and a high of 32! I hope you like The Thursday Murder Club. That's one of my current favorite series on audio!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my. Stay warm! It didn't start snowing here til Friday but now we have a ton.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I rarely read anything but digital anymore either and only a handful of printed books are left in my collection. Less to dust! Enjoy your new reads and have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those are nice wooden bookshelves. I wish I have room on my shelves.
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wish I could declutter that fast. No one is reading here,

    ReplyDelete
  13. Impressive reorganization of your shelves! I seldom have any to rearrange these days, as I cleared out most of the print books after my last move.

    Your cold weather makes me shiver! Here I was feeling cold when it hit the 40s here. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is cold here in Ohio but not that cold! Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on the library progress. It's looking great. I saw Jon Lindstrom and thought - wait, he plays Kevin on GH - it can't be. But it is. I am more curious about it now as I've been a GH fan for years. We aren't as cold as you but the wind chill tonight is going to dip below 0 degrees and I HATE that!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My mum is a huge Nora Roberts and JD Robb fan, she's always trying to get me to read them. I've read a few years ago, but have too many books on my tbr pile.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my goodness. Minnesota is so cold! That's crazy. Our temps are in single digits, but luckily not negatives most days.

    I love the book clean out and the new space on the shelves. Good luck with the continued rearranging.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yeah that the reorganization is going well! Thanks for stopping by! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!