Monday, July 22, 2024

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (July 22, 2024)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is now hosted by Kathryn at The Book Date.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

Want to See What I Added to My Stack? links to Stacking the Shelves hosted by Marlene at Reading Reality.

Other Than Reading...

I had an excellent week last week. A friend came to visit and spent from Monday until Friday at my house. We had a chance to catch up on all her remodeling woes which are many and varied and other life events. We listened to three of the Meg Langslow mysteries (books 13 -15) that I had in my collection from Chirp while we chatted, played computers games and crocheted (well, she crocheted). 

We took my brother and went out to eat at a restaurant that was new to us where we had excellent Southern food. I also did some cooking while she was here and made a new recipe for Chicken Parmesan that will be in my keeper file of recipes. Carry-out Chinese also fit into the week's plans and so did Reuben sandwiches which she often ordered at restaurants but had never made at home. 

We also went furniture shopping since she gave away all her living room furniture before she began her remodeling project. I had long been thinking about replacing my living room couch which has never been very comfortable and is now getting quite shabby. It was a seldom-used hand-me-down from our parents' house that came to our new house when we moved here in 2017. And I had promised (for Christmas 2022) that I would buy my brother more comfortable seating for his man cave since he had been using a loveseat I brought home when I moved back to Duluth in 2017. She didn't buy anything but was glad to try out some pieces she had seen online. I did get a new leather couch and ottoman, and my brother picked out a loveseat recliner for his man cave. 

This coming week would be quieter except Trailer Trash is coming on Wednesday to remove the old couch, loveseat and a worn-out swivel rocker before Ashley Furniture comes on Thursday to deliver and set up the new couch and loveseat. I was a little concerned that we wouldn't be able to get rid of the old furniture before the new arrived, but we got things worked out as long as people keep their schedules. 

Amazon Prime Days and a triple Reward points deal meant that I bought a lot of books this week that were sitting in a "Books I'm Waiting For" list at Amazon. Now I just have to figure out when I will actually have time to read them. 

As far as reading, I should finish all my August review copies this week if the furniture projects aren't too disruptive. And there is baseball to watch...

Read Last Week
  • Buried Too Deep by Karen Rose (Review; August 13) -- Third in the New Orleans series. Excellent romantic suspense. My review will be posted on August 8.
  • Immortal in Death by J. D. Robb (Audiobook reread)
  • The Real Macaw by Donna Andrews (Chirp Audiobook; Mine since August 25, 2022) -- An excellent addition to the Meg Langslow mystery series. My review will be posted on August 20.
  • Some Like It Hawk by Donna Andrews (Chirp Audiobook; Reread)
  • The Hen of the Baskervilles by Donna Andrews (Chirp Audiobook; Mine since March 22, 2023) -- An excellent and laugh-out-loud funny episode in the Meg Langslow mystery series. My review will be posted on August 27.
  • The Bullet That Missed by Richard Osman (Mine since January 7) -- Another excellent episode in the Thursday Murder Club series. My review will be posted on August 10.
  • In the Event of Murder by Cynthia Kuhn (Review; August 20) -- Second in the Starlit Bookshop mystery series. Great setting and characters. My review will be posted on August 13.
  • Rapture in Death by J. D. Robb (Audiobook Reread)
  • How to Fall for a Scoundrel by Kate Bateman (Review; August 20) -- Entertaining Regency Romance. My review will be posted on August 15.
  • City of Secrets by P. J. Tracy (Review; August 20) -- Gritty contemporary thriller set in LA. My review will be posted on August 13. 
Currently
Next Week
Reviews Posted
Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?

Review:
Bought:
What was your week like?

11 comments:

  1. I hope you enjoy all your new books Kathy! My Monday post is Here

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great selection of books. I am a big JD Robb fan need to add to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really need to read some more Kim Harrison. I keep meaning to restart her Hollows series. I am loving the covers on some of these cozies. I am trying hard not to immediately start the next one in the Record Shop Mysteries. Sounds like you had a great visit with your friend and yay for new furniture!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like you had a fabulous visit last week Kathy. New furniture, no matter how busy it makes your week is also exciting!
    I am waiting for Richard Osman to hurry up and publish another book in the Thursday Murder Club series. At this point in time it won't be until some time in 2025.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful that you will be getting new living room furniture! What a delight.

    And lots of new books...always a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just read your review for Primal Mirror, sounds good and true to form for the series.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you had a good week last week! That's always nice!

    Nice lineup too! These are all new to me reads. I hope you enjoy them this week!


    Here's my Monday Wrap-up

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! No better visitor than one who wants to listen to audiobooks with you! Sounds like such a nice visit, and productive, too. I've been thinking about replacing our couch for years, but I hate to shop. Except for books! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great list of books. They all look so good. Enjoy them and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so jealous you reached 500 reviews on NetGalley.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad that your friend's visit went well, and hope that the furniture switch goes smoothly! Yeah that you enjoyed Fire & Heist! Thanks for stopping by! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!