Thursday, June 3, 2010

Booking Through Thursday: Long or Short


Which do you prefer? Short stories? Or full-length novels?

This is an easy one for me. I much prefer full-length novels (and I even like series). I think a full-length novel gives much more time for character development and allows for a much more complex plot.

I usually feel unsatisfied when reading short stories because I want to know more. The only time a really like short stories is when they are about characters I have already "met" in a previous novel.

Sometimes, I will read an anthology that contains stories about charcters I already know and meet a new character in another story that I want to know more about. I am quite disappointed if I learn that there is no more about the character.

 
 

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes I just have to be in the mood for short stories (but prefer novels). If you read Carrie Ryan's, The Forest of Hands and Teeth, there will be an anthology- Kiss Me Deadly ( out in July I think) with a short story about a teenage Sister Tabitha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy, I totally agree! I think short stories must be hard to write because you only have so much time to introduce the character and do all the world building. I often find short stories feel incomplete to me.

    I actually don't like short stories about characters I've met in novels or short stories that 'test the waters' so to speak and then novels are based on that character. The only reason for that is that then I have to keep tracking down the stories written by the authors I enjoy and, since I don't like short stories in general, those are books I'm not going to buy. So it is difficult if I can't borrow them from my library.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!