Sunday, June 6, 2010

Review: Sing Me to Sleep by Angela Morrison

Sing Me to Sleep
Author: Angela Morrison
Publication: Razorbill (March 4, 2010)

Description: THE TRANSFORMATION

Beth has always been “The Beast”—that’s what everyone at school calls her because of her awkward height, facial scars, and thick glasses. Beth’s only friend is geeky, golden-haired Scott. That is, until she’s selected to be her choir’s soprano soloist, and receives the makeover that will change her life forever.

THE LOVE AFFAIR

When Beth’s choir travels to Switzerland, she meets Derek: pale, brooding, totally dreamy. Derek’s untethered passion—for music, and for Beth—leaves her breathless. Because in Derek’s eyes? She’s not The Beast, she’s The Beauty.

THE IMPOSSIBLE CHOICE

When Beth comes home, Scott, her best friend in the world, makes a confession that leaves her completely torn. Should she stand by sweet, steady Scott or follow the dangerous, intense new feelings she has for Derek?

THE HEARTBREAK

The closer Beth gets to Derek, the further away he seems. Then Beth discovers that Derek’s been hiding a dark secret from her …one that could shatter everything.

My Thoughts: This was a complete YA tearjerker. I liked Beth even though her continued insecurity about her appearance did wear after a while. I liked her passion for singing, her song lyric snatches, and her passion for Derek. I liked Derek with his passion to live life to the fullest and to take risks to feel more alive. I like his passion for Beth. I knew he was keeping secrets but I didn't find out what his secret was until Beth did. I could completely understand why they fell for each other. They could start their relationships without any backstory. It was like a new fresh start for both of them.

I liked Beth's friendship with Scott even though I thought her inability to see their relationship changing was a little unbelievable. I could understand Scott's frustration with Beth's romance with Derek. He had known and loved her both before and after her transformation from Beast to Beauty and had never seen the Beast.

This was a highly melodramatic story (in a good way) that grabbed my emotions and wouldn't let go. I recommend it for young adult readers who want some romance in their fiction.

Challenges: 2010 YA Reading Challenge

 

5 comments:

  1. I loved this title! And it was a complete tear jerker. I literally bawled my eyes out after I finished it, and that never happens.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I put this one off because of a few negative reviews I have read. But I am sucker for tearjerkers, and I love romance in my books! You changed my mind on this one. Thanks!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way you described Scott and Beth's relationship. I wonder who she'll choose.

    Here from the Comment Exchange Program.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome review! So glad you loved it! I looooved it as well! It's such an amazing, heartfelt read!

    Here from CEP by the way =) Love your blog =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fab review Kathy :o) I've added your link to mine

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!