Sunday, June 6, 2010

Review: All Unquiet Things by Anna Jarzab

All Unquiet Things
Author: Anna Jarzab
Publication: Delacorte Books for Young Readers; 1 edition (January 12, 2010)

Description: Carly: She was sweet. Smart. Self-destructive. She knew the secrets of Brighton Day School’s most privileged students. Secrets that got her killed.

Neily: Dumped by Carly for a notorious bad boy, Neily didn’t answer the phone call she made before she died. If he had, maybe he could have helped her. Now he can’t get the image of her lifeless body out of his mind.

Audrey: She’s the reason Carly got tangled up with Brighton’s fast crowd in the first place, and now she regrets it—especially since she’s convinced the police have put the wrong person in jail. Audrey thinks the murderer is someone at Brighton, and she wants Neily to help her find out who it is.

As reluctant allies Neily and Audrey dig into their shared past with Carly, her involvement with Brighton’s dark goings-on comes to light. But figuring out how Carly and her killer fit into the twisted drama will force Audrey and Neily to face hard truths about themselves and the girl they couldn’t save.

My thoughts: I was enthralled by this mystery. I did think that Neily reminded me a lot of Holden Caulfield. He was a very bright outsider in his school. He seemed to be more an observor than a participant in his life. When he lost his only friend and first girlfriend to murder, he became even more isolated. Audrey was also an interesting character. She was a cousin of the murdered girl and her father was convicted of the crime. She lost her best friend, her boyfriend, her circle of friends, and her father as a result of the murder. The two - Neily and Audrey - reluctantly become partners to try to find out who really killed Carly.

The story was told from two points of view - Neily and Audrey - and made frequent use of flashbacks. Luckily, it was not confusing because each section began with the time that it took place. It was like an intricate jigsaw puzzle as we followed along when Neily and Audrey began to make sense of the happenings. They also grew and changed as they learned more about the events that led to Carly's death.

Favorite Quote:
"Because you don't really act like someone who's got all the answers," she said. "I've been watching you, Neily."
"That's creepy."
"And I can tell that behind that weak Holden Caulfield affectation is a spongy, leaking heart desperate for some sort of closure."

I recommend this book to young adult and adult mystey lovers.

Challenges: 2010 YA Debut Author Challenge, 2010 YA Reading Challenge

 

3 comments:

  1. I'm really hoping to read this soon! nice review! and i love the quote :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked this book and I'm glad you did too. It has received mixed reviews.

    I enjoyed your review. I haven't read Catcher in the Rye yet. I need to get around to it one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Enthralled" is a great word. I was absolutely riveted to this book when I read it! Thanks for sharing your review--I couldn't agree more!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!