Monday, October 29, 2012

Purging and Reorganizing My Book Shelves

Caution: This post contains a large number of huge pictures.

I have a problem. I might go so far as to say I have an addiction. I can't stop buying books. I have bookshelves in most rooms of my house and have run out of walls to build more. The time has come for a major weeding and reorganization of my shelves.

This is what precipitated the book purge. Here are adult books that are TBR and don't have a home - 3 laundry baskets, 2 milk crates, two cloth grocery bags and two boxes. Needless to say, I can't find a book when I want it. Luckily, I list all the books I own on my LibraryThing account so that I know if I already have a book. That doesn't mean that I know where it is though.
I currently have bookshelves in my family room, my Master Bedroom, and my office. It is my goal to make the shelves in my office my adult TBR pile. That means I need to weed the books I have already read to get rid of enough books to empty those shelves. 

I spent all day Saturday going through the shelves in my family room which contained authors B - L. Running out of space there meant that all the A authors and quite a few of the B authors had moved into the office. Here is the finished (?) family room.



Now the first shelf starts with A and I have four empty shelves at the end. Next, I need to move into the Master Bedroom which currently looks like this:
Here is the current state of the Office shelves which have authors S - Z:
Unfortunately, the bottom two shelves on the right section of bookshelves are already TBR books. I don't think that I will have space to empty all the bags, baskets and boxes onto the shelves I am going to be able to clear. I will likely have books two deep on the TBR shelves but that is still better than the current mess.

Here is what I am getting rid of:

There are seventeen grocery bags of books containing 575 books - 72 hardcovers, 36 trade paperbacks and 467 Mass Market Paperbacks. I have a couple of friends who want to go through the bags but whatever is left is being donated to the Rochester Friends of the Library for their annual sale. I can't wait to get these out of my house and into the hands of readers who would like them.

I think I still have one more weekend of work in order to finish the Master Bedroom and the Office but I can at least see the light at the end of my organizational tunnel. I can't begin to tell you how good it feels to be getting de-cluttered. I thought it would be harder to get rid of books than it has actually been. I think it helps that I am donating the books so that other readers can have a chance at them.

PS. I have thirteen boxes of books containing 418 titles in a closet that haven't been opened since I moved to this house twelve years ago. I think I will be getting rid of those too and regaining some valuable closet space. 

7 comments:

  1. so many books*dreamy* i want...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suddenly do not feel guilty anymore about my tbr pile ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is. . .wow. I can see where you might be thinking you have a slight book buying addiction. lol. I thought I was bad. Recently I organized my piles as well so that I could actually find my books. I felt so much better having them all accessible and pretty again. Don't tell anyone but after I got them all nice I had the thought cross my mind that now there was room for me to buy more books. Shame on me. :) I think your local Friends of the Library will appreciate all the books for their sale.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I live just a few minutes away from my local library so I don't ever buy books-don't even own any :) But, I go to my library 3-4 times a week lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all the books. I don't feel so bad about my over flowing bookshelves now lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. This really makes me feel better about my book addiction, overflowing shelves, TBR pile, etc. Thanks so much, lol.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!