Monday, June 12, 2017

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (June 12, 2017)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is now hosted by Kathryn at The Book Date.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

I will be combining my YA and adult reading and purchases on this one weekly roundup. YA and middle grade reviews will still be posted on  Ms. Martin Teaches Media - my other blog.

Other Than Reading... 

This was a busy week. I finished work on Monday, ran errands and finished packing on Tuesday and Wednesday, watched the movers load my stuff up on Thursday, drove to Duluth on Thursday, and directed the movers as they unloaded my stuff on Friday.

I did enough unpacking to have a bed to sleep on Friday night since sleeping on the living room floor like Thursday night wasn't something I wanted to repeat. Saturday was filled with unpacking. My living room is looking almost normal. I unpacked all of my TBR books. I have left space for my DVDs which I forgot at my old house. Even though the three movers and I looked around the house, none of us looked in the front coat closet since it was hidden behind the open front door. I was 100 miles away from Duluth when I realized that we hadn't loaded the boxes from that closet. I'll have to get the boxes I forgot when I go back for the house closing.

My brother and I also hauled a load to the local Habitat for Humanity's Restore. We changed out the kitchen and dining room lights recently and discovered another chandelier and ceiling fan in the storage above the garage. We also changed the pedestal sink in my bathroom for a more traditional vanity. All of that construction stuff fit into the Restore's mission and gave us more room to store our own stuff.

My next task is my library...

I am hoping that my brother can move the boxes around so that they are not stacked four boxes high. We'll be spreading the boxes out into the hall and the lower level bedroom so that they are in a single layer. I need to start with the authors in the As and have no idea where that box is.

Then my brother and I have to tackle his "man cave."

I brought a bunch of bookshelves from my old house and discovered they are too tall for the place we wanted to put them. Now we have to move all of his CDs to the other side of the room and put the bookshelves where the CDs are now. This is definitely something we are going to have to do together. It will have to wait until he has some time when he isn't working -- and he's always working!

Read Last Week
Delia's Shadow by Jaime Lee Moyer was an entertaining historical mystery. It is the first of three books starring Delia Martin. I liked the historical setting, the growing romance between Delia and the police detective looking for a serial killer, and the twisty mystery. My review will be posted on June 17.

Indigo by Charlaine Harris and a cast of other writers is an urban fantasy mystery. The main character has a secret life as a supernatural vigilante. I thought the story was well-written and entertaining. My review will be posted on June 15.
More of Me by Kathryn Evans was a science fiction story that is also a coming of age story. Teva is cloned every year and the new Teva takes over Teva's life and the others are hidden at home. The most recent Teva is determined to find out why the cloning happens and to stop it from claiming her life. My review will be posted on June 14.

Ticker by Lisa Mantchev is a steampunk mystery that has been on my TBR mountain for a while. I liked the mystery and I liked the romance too. The world building was intriguing. There were so many wonderful gadgets. My review will be posted on June 15.
I started The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue by Mackenzi Lee but quit at 10%. Nothing was happening and I found the main character annoying. I just couldn't see it getting better.

Currently
I am reading Battle Magic by Tamora Pierce which has also been on TBR mountain for quite a while. I enjoy her fantasy novels and have read the rest of the books in this series.

UNSUB by Meg Gardiner is a recent addition to my review stack. I thought it sounded like an interesting thriller.

Next Week
I have two more from my TBR mountain for my adult picks this week.
My YA picks for the week are
Reviews Posted
Silver Silence by Nalini Singh
Bad Housekeeping by Maia Chance
Come and Find Me by Hallie Ephron
The Fallen Kingdom by Elizabeth May
Want by Cindy Pon
We Come Apart by Sarah Crossan and Brian Conaghan

Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?
I got two more review books this week:
What was your week like?

18 comments:

  1. You had time to add to your stack list?????

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have been super busy this week! Congrats on getting (almost) everything moved. You are going to enjoy that new home library, I think!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I feel for you with the chaos of unpacking and finding places for things...and then unpacking some more.

    In my last two moves, it was HOT. What a bad choice that was, but it worked out that way.

    It's good that your living room and bedroom are sort of together.

    Bad Housekeeping is on my list to download...tomorrow, I think.

    Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Moving can be stressful and exciting at the same time. Best wished for your new home and sorting out your books!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Although a couple of hiccups, it sounds like the move has gone pretty well all in all. I hope you are well settled in your new house soon, and have a lot of fun working on your library. Wishing you wonderful week, and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow look at all those boxes! Looks like you're in full swing. Have fun setting up your library (and the man cave- ha ha).

    More of Me looks interesting- I usually love clone stories- and so does Indigo ( a supernatural vigilant hmm).

    Good luck w/ unpacking, and have a super week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I dread the day when we have to move, which considering the state of our apartment building will happen eventually. Good luck unpacking/arranging!

    Ticker looks and sounds great. I'll have to pop back over for your review of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whew, I am tired just looking at those boxes. Hope the job goes smoothly and you are reading in your library soon! Going to check out the Katee Robert book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, what a busy week for you! I'm amazed you still had time to fit in reading!

    Delia's Shadow looks very interesting. I might have to add that one to my list :)

    Here's my Monday post -
    http://bookandbloom.com/2017/06/12/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-3/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I dread the day I will move!! Lol! Hope you enjoy the reads for the week!

    Here's my Monday Wrap-up

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am impressed that you had time for reading at all.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The move that my husband and I did nearly twenty years ago was like that where we'd forget things at the old place and have to drive back to get them — except it was a 500 mile trip one way.

    Thanks for stopping by earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So busy!! Have fun with the unpacking and organizing, that can actually be so fun, making a new space yours.

    My brother just moved and he kept finding more stuff too! Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're finally moved in! I loved the pics of those empty bookshelves ready to be filled. So many great books in this post. Delia's Shadow looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Enjoy the unpacking Kathy! I think out of all the tasks- organizing the library would be my favourite one!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ha ha! Moving didn't stop you from accumulating more books! Love it. Yay on the move. Bummer that you left some boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks like you have a lot of work behind and now ahead of you. And lots of good books you are reading. I am going to look at your review of Indigo. Happy unpacking and Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! Moving! I forgot you would be doing that! I hope you have come forward a long way with unpacking!

    I can't believe you are reading Battle Magic!!!!!!!! I need to do that. It's one of the only Circle books I haven't read yet!

    Can't wait to see what you make of The Waking Land - it looks interesting. I need to read the Falconer books.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!