Monday, June 26, 2017

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (June 26, 2017)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is now hosted by Kathryn at The Book Date.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

I will be combining my YA and adult reading and purchases on this one weekly roundup. YA and middle grade reviews will still be posted on  Ms. Martin Teaches Media - my other blog.

Other Than Reading... 

I have unpacked all of my boxes! Of course there are still lots of boxes around in my brother's man cave from the Locust Street house but all the ones I brought home have been emptied. Things are mostly finished on repairing and tidying the Locust Street house and it goes on the market this week. I have had only a couple of showings on my townhouse and am eager to get that one sold. There isn't much I can do about that one and will have to depend on the realtor to get it marketed and sold.

Now I can concentrate on reading and blogging. All the chaos around my moves have made me far behind where I want to be on my blogs. I have decided to try something new and read all of the review books that are scheduled on my July calendar first. If I have time I'll circle back and fill in some of the open dates with the books from my TBR stack that I want to read. It may mean, like this week, that I have a day when I wanted to do a book review but the book just didn't get read.

I went to the annual Rhubarb Festival today. It featured all things rhubarb and supports CHUM - a charity who goal is "providing basic necessities, fostering stable lives, and organizing with and on behalf of members of the Duluth community who are experiencing homelessness, hunger, and marginalization". In addition to coming home with a rhubarb custard pie, I got some information about becoming a literacy tutor. Everyone says that I'll be bored if I don't find something to do next school year. Tutoring could be an outlet. There are both full-time and part-time positions available and they will train me. It requires a commitment including four days of training in the Twin Cities for which all the expenses are paid. It also pays a living stipend. I'm thinking about it as something to do on a part-time basis, but am not sure that I want to make that sort of commitment in time to be trained to begin with this up-coming school year.

Read Last Week
Stillhouse Lake by Rachel Caine was an excellent thriller starring the wife of a convicted serial killer who has changed her name a few times and thinks she has finally found a place where she can raise her kids away from the scrutiny of the public who is sure that she had something to do with her husband's crimes. Only her husband is ready to let her go and murders start happening in her new home. My review will be posted on June 28.

The Waking Land by Callie Bates was an excellent fantasy debut that also marks the beginning of a new trilogy. This one stars a young woman who has been taught by her country's captors to deny and hide her magic but who needs that magic to help her country rebel. My review was posted on June 22.
The Reluctant Queen by Sarah Beth Durst is the second in an epic fantasy series set in a world filled with malicious spirits. Naelin has epic powers to control those spirits but hides them. Her only goal is to keep her young children safe. It takes a while to convince her that she needs to use her gifts to keep everyone's children safe. My review will be posted on June 29.

A Panicked Premonition by Victoria Laurie is the 15th in the Psychic Eye series but the first I've read. It was fun and engaging urban fantasy. While I'm sure it would have been a richer experience had I known more of the characters' back stories, it was not at all confusing and really entertaining. My review will be posted on July 1.
The Hypnotists by Gordon Korman was a middle grade story about a boy who learns to use his powers of hypnotism. Unfortunately, his teacher is not a noble benefactor he wants people to think he is, and is using the boy for his own selfish purposes. It was entertaining and will keep middle schoolers hooked on the adventure. My review was posted on June 24.

A Wrinkle in Time: The Graphic Novel by Hope Larson was an excellent introduction to the story for those who like graphic novels. I felt the story was complete, though lacking in L'Engle's rich detail, and the illustrations done well. My review will be posted on June 29.
Bannerless by Carrie Vaughn is a dystopian mystery. Enid of Haven is an Investigator called to the town of Pasadan to investigate the suspicious death of one of its citizens. She and her partner Tomas uncover a number of secrets is the perfect town of Pasadan. This story had great world building that was seamlessly integrated into the story. My review will be posted on July 5.

Currently
Two review books:
Next Week

All are review books being released in July.
Murder in Mayfair by D. M. Quincy (July 11)
Shallow Grave by Brian Thiem (July 11)
Amid Stars and Darkness by Chani Lynn Feener (July 18)
What Goes Up by Katie Kennedy (July 18)

Reviews Posted
The Invisible Library by Genevieve Cogman
UNSUB by Meg Gardiner
The Waking Land by Callie Bates
City of Angels by Kristi Belcamin
The Hypnotists by Gordon Korman

Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?
I received a finished hardcover copy of The Reluctant Queen by Sarah Beth Durst from the author in exchange for a review. She even autographed it.

I bought a hardcover of The Queen of Blood by Sarah Beth Durst so that I would have both of them on my keeper shelves. I had read the eARC and purchased a Kindle copy of this book previously.
I added A Wedding Tail by Casey Griffin to my review stack. It is the third romance in the Rescue Dog Romance series. It will be released on August 1.

What was your week like?

17 comments:

  1. The cover of The Waking Land is gorgeous! Congratulations on getting so many things unpacked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stillhouse lake looks really interesting, I will have to look out for it.
    Engrossed in a good book

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on getting unpacked! As far as post-retirement life being boring...this has not been my experience. All the things I didn't have time for before expanded to fill the time available. And I love planning out my days...or just going with the flow.

    The Rhubarb Festival sounds like fun.

    I see a great book haul. Enjoy! Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great news on getting settled! That must be a great feeling. Stillhouse Lake is on my Wishlist, and Shallow Grave and The Unsub both sound like ones that I'd enjoy. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Looks like you were able to get a lot of reading in. It took me awhile to settle into retirement - even though - I still look for more to do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Hypnotists is on my TBR but will have to wait until after we move. It's in storage. It's been a busy week with a cracked toilet, day camp, and paperwork for cross country. Come see what I'm reading

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have some overlapping books there. I've often thought about simply jumping ahead and starting fresh. It might help me shake that feeling that I"m always behind.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Unpacking is such a pain in the tush...so good for you for getting it done! I hope you get a lot of reading time as a reward!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The idea of tutoring sounds very interesting. I hope that works out for you I've often wanted to try to tutor people in reading but I don't really have a lot of training in that area.

    ReplyDelete
  10. One of my reviewers read The Waking Land and enjoyed it. See what I've read this month

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed Some Kind of Hero but not as much as some of the earlier books in the series. Great that you are unpacked at least. Will be interesting to see if you go for literacy tutoring, I find I am never bored in retirement!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How did I miss a new Suzanne Brockmann book? Must be the new grandson that has me distracted! Glad you are all unpacked and sending good thoughts on selling the houses!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have not heard of a rhubarb festival, we have an asparagus one in the next town over. VIP kids is an online tutoring company that my friend works for and it pays quite well. You can work as little as 6 hours a week, it is teaching English to Chinese students.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Post retirement and moving into a new flat (I hope my last move ever) have not left me bored. I too worked for a long time but I haven't found time hanging on my hands (yet!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lokks like you read a LOT of good books!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a neat festival! So excited for both of Caine's books. They're both sitting on my pile waiting for me :D Happy reading this week!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You have been very busy. Glad your move is mostly complete and I hope your realtor has success with your condo.
    The festival sounds like a worthwhile event. I liked the looks of Stillhouse Lake.
    I've seen the Ash and Quill book around recently. I hope you liked it.
    I love the dachshund on the Rescue Dog Romance cover. I think I'll check that series. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!