Thursday, July 27, 2023

Audiobook Review: High Stakes by Dick Francis

High Stakes

Author:
Dick Francis
Narrator: Geoffrey Howard
Publication: Canelo USA (May 2, 2019); Blackstone Audio (December 15, 1999)
Length: 308 p.; 5 hours and 47 minutes

Description: Steven Scott may have been a successful, wealthy inventor with no experience in horse racing, yet with the inspired guidance of his trainer, Jody Leeds, and the prowess of a beautiful black hurdler named Energise, he has brought home several wins.

But his winning streak is about to come to a fast end when he discovers trouble in his own stables: trouble that could bring about his own termination if he doesn’t watch his step.

My Thoughts: Steven Scott finds himself in danger when he realizes that his racehorse trainer has been systematically cheating him. However, firing his trainer at the racecourse and his trainer's popularity, makes him the villain of the piece.

When he further realizes that his trainer has substituted another horse for his, he plans and epic con to get his horse back and get the trainer his comeuppance. Steven, who is a very successful inventor and engineer, is assisted in his quest by his new girlfriend, his workshop assistant, and a wealthy banker in his quest. 

I really enjoyed this mystery which was written in 1975. I had read it years ago but it was just as exciting and engaging as when I first read it. I liked Geoffrey Howard's narration. 

I got this one through Audible Plus. You can buy your copy here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!