Monday, July 3, 2023

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (July 3, 2023)

 It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is now hosted by Kathryn at The Book Date.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

I will be combining my YA and adult reading and purchases on this one weekly roundup.

Want to See What I Added to My Stack? links to Stacking the Shelves hosted by Marlene at Reading Reality.

Other Than Reading...

It was a nice week. We finally got some rain which helped our drought conditions but didn't help our solar energy production. The temperatures were summer-like for Duluth. Highs ranged from 63 on our rainiest day (slightly over an inch of rain) and 82 on our warmest days. 

This week I read either a book from my Review stack or an audiobook. I sorted my Audible library by length and have been picking the shorter books. It turns out that all of the books I listened to this week were mysteries. Two of the audiobooks were rereads of books I read years and years ago. The other two were new to me. 

I prepared and posted my State of the Stack post which details what Review books I have received, read, and have on the stack. 

This coming week's choices will complete my July calendar, so I spent some time picking out the books for August. After the Review books were slotted in, I added a couple of books from on-going series. I also looked at my 2009 collection and added a couple of books. Then I looked at 2023 and added some I'm especially eager to read. I didn't choose any audiobooks for August yet. I am happy with my current way of deciding on audiobooks by sorting my Audible library by length and reading the next novel on the list. 

There are no appointments on my schedule for the week. July 3 would have been my dad's 110th birthday. We lost both of our parents three months apart in 2006. We're having blueberry pie in his honor. My brother has both the 4th of July and the 5th off this week before starting a seven-day stretch without a day off. We don't generally celebrate on the 4th though he might brave the crowds to watch the fireworks. I won't. I'll keep busy reading and watching Braves baseball. 

June Reading

I read 34 books in June. That makes a total of 11,303 pages. I read 8 audiobooks for a total of 62.35 hours. Eighteen of June's books were from my Review stack. Four books were from deep in my TBR mountain. 

I added 57 books to my collection in June including 10 audiobooks including five that were $1.99 and two were from Audible Plus. I also added 23 new Review books. Fifty-three of the new additions are still on the TBR stack including 22 of the Review books. 

I've read 226 books so far this year. Since I set my Goodreads goal at 300, I am 77 books ahead of schedule. I'll likely raise my Goodreads goal to 365 when I reach 300. 

My To Read collection totals 2497 which does include Review books. I plan to go through the print books still on my stack from 2009 and decide if I still want to read them or take them out of the collection and donate them. There are only 18 print books hanging around since 2009 which won't lower the stack very much but it is a start.

Read Last Week

If you can't wait until the review shows up on my blog, reviews are posted to LibraryThing and Goodreads as soon as I write them (usually right after I finish reading a book.)
  • The Bitter Past by Bruce Borgos (Review; July 18) -- First in a new mystery series set in rural Nevada. Sheriff Porter Beck investigates the death of a retired FBI Agent in a crime that has roots back in the days of nuclear testing in the 1950s. My review will be posted on July 11.
  • The Copenhagen Connection by Elizabeth Peters (Audible Plus) -- Elizabeth Jones finds adventure, danger, and romance on her first trip to Denmark. My review will be posted on July 11.
  • I Know What You Did by Cayce Osborne (Review; July 18) -- Petal Woznewski heads back to her hometown of Madison, Wisconsin, when a bestselling novel fictionalizes the death of her best friend and accuses her of the crime. My review will be posted on July 12.
  • Henrietta Who? by Catherine Aird (Audiobook; Mine since August 24, 2021) -- Historical mystery where a hit-and-run accident leads to uncovering all sorts of secrets. My review will be posted on July 13.
  • A Fatal Groove by Olivia Blacke (Review; July 25) -- Juni Jessup needs to solve another mystery when the town's mayor dies after drinking a coffee poured by her sister. My review will be posted on July 18.
  • Not by Blood by Chris Narozny (Review; July 25) -- Twisty psychological thriller. My review will be posted on July 13.
  • Murder, Stage Left by Robert Goldsborough (Audible Plus) -- Nero Wolfe and Archie Goodwin investigate the death of a Broadway producer/director. My review will be posted on July 20.
  • I Did It for You by Amy Engel (Review; July 25) -- Greer Dunning comes back to the town she fled after High School when a young couple are murdered which reminds her of the death of her older sister and her boyfriend. She has to deal with her guilt and find out what really happened. My review will be posted on July 18.
  • The Lady from Burma by Allison Montclair (Review; July 25) -- The latest episode of the Sparks & Bainbridge series has Gwen fighting to prove her sanity and the pair of them solving the murder of one of their clients. My review will be posted on July 19.
  • Nightmare in Pink by John D. MacDonald (Audiobook; mine since March 29, 2021) -- The second in the Travis McGee series has him helping out an old Army buddy and uncovering a complex fraud. My review will be posted on July 25.
Currently
Next Week
Reviews Posted
Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?

Review:
Bought:
What was your week like?

9 comments:

  1. You had a great June. I have A Fatal Groove coming up soon. I'm looking forward to it. I loved the first book in the series. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You had an amazing reading month. So impressive.

    Murder in the Crypt, Birder She Wrote and The House Keepers caught my eye. Hope you enjoy all your books.

    Thanks for sharing and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I'm amazed to hear that you read 11,303 pages in June! You should probably be in the Guiness Book of World Records.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am impressed with how much you accomplish. Enjoy the new week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's ben the same here, mostly, weather wise. Although hazy. All the smoke. I love how deliciously old school that cover is for Nughtmare in Pink.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are on a roll! Happy Reading and have a great week! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your total TBR number made me look at my LibraryThing catalog to see what mine was, and mine was only 264 compared to your 2497! Of course, while there, I had to scan the July Early Reviewers ARC offers, but I only requested one! I'm not good about entering my review copies into LibraryThing before I start them.
    I'm curious about how you're choosing your audiobooks sorted by length! Shortest first, or longest? Couldn't that mess up listening in series order? Please tell more! ;)
    Thanks for visiting my blog and commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great wrap up for June! I see some authors I haven't read in years like MacDonald, Francis and Stewart (a old fav for me). Someday I will read the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I Heard a Fly Buzz When I Died is such a strange title. And Mace and Hammer caught my interest.
    Enjoy your 4th at home (me too) and Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah for a quiet week, and sounds like some really great stats for June! I hope you enjoy Resonance Surge! Thanks for stopping by! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!