Monday, July 10, 2023

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (July 10, 2023)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is now hosted by Kathryn at The Book Date.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

I will be combining my YA and adult reading and purchases on this one weekly roundup.

Want to See What I Added to My Stack? links to Stacking the Shelves hosted by Marlene at Reading Reality.

Other Than Reading...

This was another quiet, lazy summer week. The only excitement for me was that I finally got a haircut. My stylist chopped off somewhere between 6 and 7 inches that I had grown during the pandemic. I was getting tired of hair in my mouth and catching my hair on things. Now I have a short bob that, in my opinion, won't need cutting for another year. 

I took advantage of a short term Audible Plus deal and listened to Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. I had read it back in 1998 but not since. I did see the movie when it was released. It was fun to revisit those characters and that world. 

And I am inadvertently taking part in Big Books of Summer. When I chose The Templar Legacy by Steve Berry to read, I picked it because I had had the Kindle version since 2009 and I have a goal of lowering TBR mountain. It wasn't until I read and read and didn't seem to be making much progress that I did some research and found that the book was over 500 pages. Not knowing how long a book is seems to me to be the only disadvantage of reading on my Kindle. 

I have begun reading my August review books and have seven more to go. I finished setting up my book review posts for August. I'm planning to continue a couple of series and read some newer arrivals along with the review books. 

This coming week should be a quiet one too. With the baseball All-Star break, there won't be as many games for me to watch. Maybe I'll have a good reading and listening week. 

Read Last Week

If you can't wait until the review shows up on my blog, reviews are posted to LibraryThing and Goodreads as soon as I write them (usually right after I finish reading a book.)
  • Resonance Surge by Nalini Singh (Review; July 18) -- Latest in the Psy-Changeling Trinity series features the romance between a Psy and a changeling bear. Very angsty but with touches of humor too. My review will be posted on July 20.
  • Strange Bedpersons from the Jennifer Crusie Bundle (Mine since August 11, 2009) -- Cute contemporary romance starring a free spirit and an uptight lawyer. My review will be posted on July 22.
  • Murder in the Crypt by Irina Shapiro (Mine; Bookbub for $.99) -- First in the Redmond and Haxe Victorian mystery series. Interesting characters will have me looking for the next in the series. My review will be posted on July 26.
  • Against the Wild by Kat Martin (Mine; BookBub for $.99) -- Contemporary Romantic Suspense. Engaging story that is the first of a trilogy. My review will be posted on July 25.
  • High Stakes by Dick Francis (Mine; Kindle & Audible Plus) -- Nice reread of a mystery I read many years ago. Francis always has great characters. My review will be posted on July 27.
  • Birder, She Wrote by Donna Andrews (Review; August 1) -- Latest in Meg Langslow series. Humorous mystery with nicely quirky characters. My review will be posted on July 27.
  • Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J. K. Rowling (Temporarily from Audible Plus) -- Great listen of a book I haven't read since I bought it in December of 1998. My review will be posted on August 8.
Currently
  • The Sorcery Trial by J. A. Armitage & Claire Luana (Audiobook; Mine since February 5, 2021)
  • The Templar Legacy by Steve Berry (Mine since October 2, 2009; It was free for my Kindle then.)
Next Week
Reviews Posted
Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?

Review:
Bought:
  • Risk It All by Katie Ruggle (Kindle)
  • Hollow Beasts by Alisa Lynn Valdes (Kindle Daily Deal; Audible for $1.99)
  • Fourth Wing by Rebecca Yarrow (Kindle; I used Kindle Rewards to lower the price by $3.00)
What was your week like?

9 comments:

  1. I get my hair cut only about once or twice a year. A bob sounds perfect for the summer. I bet it feels so much better. Earlier this year, I read the first two Harry Potter books, then I listened to the third one. The narration is outstanding! I've also seen the movies. Have a great week! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are always so organized with your reading. I think it's great and I never seem to be able to get myself organized. Your books all look great. I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bet you feel lighter after getting so much hair cut off! I chopped off a couple of inches early this year and it felt so good! Great and eclectic selection of books - Birder, She Wrote looks interesting to me! Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been wanting to read A Cryptic Clue, it sounds really good. Have a great week, and happy reading ๐ŸŒž๐Ÿ“š๐Ÿ’œ
    You can see my week here

    ReplyDelete
  5. OOoh nice ones! Lots of new to me ones here! The Sorcery Trial looks intriguing! Loving that cover! Looks like the poster for one amazing movie!


    Here's my Monday Wrap-up

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lazy days can be fun days. Lots of great books this week. It's been a while since I've read Harry Potter. Hope you have a great week. Thanks for sharing and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for visiting my blog Kathy. I agree with Cheryl, that lazy days are good. I get my hair cut every other year or so - only I make sure it is long enough to put into a ponytail so I can keep it off my face!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to cut my short hair much more often than I did my longer hair!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh man, yeah, not seeing the page count is a negative. I grew out my hair and cut it all off for cancer wigs twice, but after the second time, I never let it grow out more then a couple of inches because I don't want to use my time dealing with it. I'm looking forward to The Blonde Identity, I love Ally Carter's writing! Thanks for stopping by! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!