Monday, July 31, 2023

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (July 31, 2023)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is now hosted by Kathryn at The Book Date.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

I will be combining my YA and adult reading and purchases on this one weekly roundup.

Want to See What I Added to My Stack? links to Stacking the Shelves hosted by Marlene at Reading Reality.

Other Than Reading...

This past week was a nice one. The highs were in the 80s with the thermometer hitting 88 on the 27th. Good thing for central air conditioning! Night temperatures were pleasant with high 50s and lower 60s. We also got a scant quarter inch of rain due to a couple of brief thunderstorms. 

We tried out some new recipes this week. My brother had purchased a pre-seasoned pork roast for the crockpot in order to make some pulled pork. With leftover pulled pork after our original picnic meal of pulled pork, potato salad and corn on the cob, we had pulled pork hash and pulled pork burritos. We liked both the recipes made with our leftover pulled pork. Our only complaint was that the pre-seasoned roast had too much salt. Since his heart attack and bypass surgery, we have been trying to lower our salt consumption. Next time we'll make our own pulled pork to better control the salt.

Being hungry for noodles, I also tried a new recipe for Fettuccini with Mushroom Alfredo Sauce which I really enjoyed. We're having the leftovers before my brother goes to work today. 

I finished up my August review books and, being almost a month ahead on my blog, decided to give myself a break and listen to a few of my favorite audiobooks by favorite authors Sharon Lee & Steve Miller. After I finish my current listen, it is back to reading for my blog and starting my September review book releases. 

With a quick doctor's appointment on the 1st and going out to dinner to celebrate my birthday on the 2nd, this week looks to be busier than the last couple of weeks. However, I'm sure there will still be time for books and baseball. Go Braves!

Read Last Week

If you can't wait until the review shows up on my blog, reviews are posted to LibraryThing and Goodreads as soon as I write them (usually right after I finish reading a book.)
  • Miss Aldridge Regrets by Louise Hare (Mine) -- Historical mystery set in 1936. Black but able to pass for white, singer Lena Aldridge gets a deal too good to be true for a job in New York City and finds herself in the middle of a murder mystery that she is being framed for. My review will be posted on September 16.
  • The Camelot Caper by Elizabeth Peters (Audiobook) -- This riff on a gothic romance hit all the tropes. I read the book years ago and enjoyed the audio very much. My review will be posted on August 24.
  • Harlem After Midnight by Louise Hare (Review; August 29) -- Historical mystery set in Harlem in 1936. Interesting characters and story. My review will be posted on August 23.
  • Fledgling by Sharon Lee & Steve Miller (Audiobook Reread)
  • My Roommate Is a Vampire by Jenna Levine (Review; August 29) -- Debut romantic comedy. A free spirit rents a room from a vampire who wants help adjusting to modern life. My review will be posted on August 24.
  • Saltation by Sharon Lee & Steve Miller (Audiobook Reread)
  • Ghost Ship by Sharon Lee & Steve Miller (Audiobook Reread)
Currently
Next Week
Reviews Posted
Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?

Review:
None

Bought:
What was your week like?

13 comments:

  1. So many great books on your list. Happy Birthday! I hope you have a great birthday celebration and a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a fan of sci fi, but hope The ThreeBody Problem is a good read. Happy birthday in advance!

    Harvee at https://bookdilettante.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday! I hope you enjoy your week and that your baseball team wins! (Unless they play my Rangers...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pulled pork sounds yummy. I have to watch the salt too.

    Hope you like Sanctuary for seers. I enjoyed it. I need to get Three Body Problem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nighttime temps in the 50s and 60s sounds absolutely delightful! Happy Birthday on the 2nd! That's my mom's birthday, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lots of great reading material! The 1930s mysteries do look interesting to me. And pulled pork burritos sound delicious! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OOh nice! I'm rather curious about My Roommate is a Vampire! Sounds like a fun read! Hope you enjoy your books lined up for this week!



    Here's my Monday Wrap-up

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that's a lot of books! I have the Enola Holmes and Gunnie Rose books too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your books and the food sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday! My Roommate is a Vampire sounds cute.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Our weather has been gross - super hot, humid, then storms. This week so far is much nicer!

    The Clara McKenna books look really good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy birthday! My husband is a Marlins fan. The Braves are frustrating him this year. "They just have our number! We can't do anything with them!" From the little I've seen, he's right :-) The mushroom alfredo sauce sounds delicious. I make a mushroom stroganoff that's really good. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yeah for new recipes and getting ahead on the review books! Thanks for stopping by! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!