Thursday, August 22, 2024

Book Review: Bloody Mary by J. A. Konrath

Bloody Mary

Author:
J. A. Konrath
Series: Jack Daniels (Book 2)
Publication: J. A. Konrath (February 4, 2013)

Description: THE TWIST YOU WON'T SEE COMING...

Start with a tough but vulnerable Chicago cop. Add a hyperactive cat, an ailing mother, a jealous boyfriend, a high-maintenance ex-husband, and a partner in the throes of a mid-life crisis.

Stir in a psychopath littering the city with body parts. Mix with equal parts humor and suspense, and enjoy Bloody Mary--the second novel in the funny, frightening world of Lieutenant Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels.

Join Jack as she struggles to repair her train wreck of a personal life while tracking down and convicting one of the scariest serial killers in recent memory.

My Thoughts: The second Jack Daniels mystery pits Chicago Lieutenant Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels against a serial killer whose mad rages lead to many violent deaths. But Jack has other things on her mind too: her partner is going through a mid-life crisis, her independent Mom is in need of her care, her ex-husband is hanging around, and her new boyfriend is being way too accommodating for her liking. 

This story mixes gruesome killing (mostly off the pages) with humor as Jack deals with the many crises in her life which lead to battles with insomnia and stress. The killer was a truly evil villain. 

However, the villain's reveal which was supposed to be an unexpected twist wasn't all that much of a twist for me. I saw it coming. What was surprising was the way the villain managed to keep his evil under the radar for as long as he did. 

This is the second in a series. I will be reading on because I enjoy Jack's character and want to know more. 

Favorite Quote:
I took a large swig of Sam Adams and frowned. 

"No one else would ride with Harry, so I got stuck with him."

"That's true. It's because I was reckless."

"It's because you're obnoxious. Every partner Harry ever had put in for a transfer."
I bought this one January 2, 2016. You can buy your copy here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!