Monday, August 19, 2024

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (August 19, 2024)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is now hosted by Kathryn at The Book Date.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

Want to See What I Added to My Stack? links to Stacking the Shelves hosted by Marlene at Reading Reality.

Other Than Reading...

A cool and rainy week gave me lots of time for reading and listening. I'm bingeing on the Vatta's War space opera series which is a reread of a series I first read sometime before 2008. Most of the audiobooks were available through Audible Plus. However, the second was not. I used one of my Audible credits for it. 

I also started reading a review book that is a historical fantasy/mystery. It has been a bit of a slog partly because of the formatting of the eARC. It is hard to get lost in the story when the title of the book and the page number is randomly inserted in the middle of a sentence. Line breaks are wonky too. I took frequent breaks from this one to listen to my audiobook and even started the next review book on my stack.

I didn't do much this week. But I did go out to lunch with about 25 of my high school classmates. It was nice to have a chance to catch up and chat. Lunch was good too.

This week I should finish the first five Vatta space operas. There are two more that I own but don't think that I've ever read. Only one of them is available as an audiobook. Of course, I have a whole bunch of review books on my calendar too. 

Read Last Week
  • When Women Were Dragons by Kelly Barnhill (Mine since July 24) -- Contemporary fantasy/alternate history. Entertaining and thought provoking. My review will be posted on September 7.
  • Tell No Lies by Allison Brennan (Mine since May 24) -- Romantic Suspense/Thriller that reunites Quinn and Costa as the deal with the murder of a college student, illegal dumping and trafficking. My review will be posted on September 10.
  • Trading in Danger by Elizabeth Moon (Audible Plus) -- The first book in the Vatta's War series is Ky Vatta's coming of age story. Excellent space opera. My review will be posted on September 12.
  • The Spellshop by Sarah Beth Durst (Mine since July 16) -- This cozy fantasy was like a warm hug and a cup of hot chocolate. My review will be posted on September 11.
  • Marque and Reprisal by Elizabeth Moon (Audible Credit) -- The second book in the Vatta's War series has Ky dealing with the deaths of most of her relatives in a sneak attack by an unknown enemy. My review will be posted on September 19.
  • Sanctuary for Seers by Kathleen Baldwin (Mine since July 25, 2023) --The fifth Stranje House historical fantasy is Sera's story. My review will be posted on September 14.
  • Engaging the Enemy by Elizabeth Moon (Audible Plus) -- The third in the Vatta's War series is packed with space battles. My review will be posted on September 26.
Currently
Next Week
Reviews Posted
Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?

Review:

Bought:
What was your week like?

13 comments:

  1. Interesting mixed genre of books. We having strange intermittent showers. One day humid and hot next rainy but still hot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a fun lunch with your classmates. That was a pretty big gathering. I hope you are enjoying Vampires of King Street. I am cohosting an event in September we named Vamptember and just learned about this book. I desperately want to read it now. Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The luncheon sounds like fun. I hope you enjoy your books. They look like good ones. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you got a chance to enjoy a lunch with your high school classmates. Fun!

    A cool and rainy week sounds delightful right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’m finding more and more books on Audible Plus these days! Enjoy all your books and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally forgot I had requested City of Secrets as a review copy! I've been terrible about keeping up with my requests, and hardly ever write reviews anymore, either. The Serial Killer Guide to San Francisco looks cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is frustrating when ARCs are difficult to read! I hope the experience improves!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that you were able to get together with so many of your classmates! My class has never had a reunion in the 28 years since we graduated.

    I've been enjoying cozy fantasy books this year so I'm adding The Spellshop to my list. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like you had a nice time at your lunch with your classmates. Hope you enjoy your reading and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read When Women Were Dragons back to back with Lessons in Chemistry. I was fascinated by how each author dealt with the issues of misogyny in profoundly different ways. Both books made me angry, but I liked the friendship of the women in Lessons in Chemistry. I think it was the only thing lacking in When Women Were Dragons.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Stranje House series sounds intriguing. I just read the synopsis at at first I was thinking how tired I am of books with schools to make women into obliging wives but I like the spies and diplomacy twist on that and now I'm interested! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The cover of When Women Were Dragons looks intriguing. Have a great weekend and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad the weather left you plenty of time to read. That is a great way to make use of a rainy day. Need to check out your review of A Scandal in Mayfair. Hope you had a nice week. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!