Monday, August 12, 2024

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (August 12, 2024)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is now hosted by Kathryn at The Book Date.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

Want to See What I Added to My Stack? links to Stacking the Shelves hosted by Marlene at Reading Reality.

Other Than Reading...

I had a nice week. The temperatures were very fall-like which was a nice change from the heat. With my brother on vacation, we did more cooking and eating out than we usually do. A cool day called for Salisbury steak along with mashed potatoes and corn on the cob. Another day we had oven-fried chicken thighs and baked potatoes. Still another day he tried a new recipe for a sheet pan dinner with kielbasa, cute little potatoes, green pepper and red onions. If that wasn't enough, we also went out to new restaurant in town called Burger Paradox and visited Olive Garden which is an old favorite. 

Consequently, we have a refrigerator full of leftovers which will come in handy as he goes back to work today. He has three 3:30-11PM shifts to start his work week. Leftovers will make a nice late lunch before he starts work. 

I didn't get as much reading done as usual. Between the Olympics, baseball games on TV, and a brother around the house, I was distracted. I did stay up quite late (i.e. 3:30-4AM) reading the two books by Wen Spencer. I got sucked into those stories and had a very hard time putting them down to go to sleep. So, I spend a couple of days pretty sleep-deprived but don't regret a minute of the time I spent reading those two books. 

Of the six books I read, three had been on TBR mountain for many years. While that barely makes a dent in TBR mountain, I do feel a sense of accomplishment at lowering it even it was just a bit. This coming week I plan to read four books that belong to me. Two are new additions to the stack and two I added in 2023. I also have a couple more September review copies in my plans. 

This coming Thursday I'll be having lunch out as some of us from Duluth Cathedral's Class of 1968 are getting together to catch up on each other's lives. We haven't gathered since Covid. It will be nice to see some of my old classmates. 

Read Last Week
  • Once Bitten Twice Shy by Jennifer Rardin (Kindle; mine since July 16, 2009) -- Entertaining urban fantasy story which begins a series. My review will be posted on September 3.
  • Booked to Die by John Dunning (Kindle which I've owned since June 14, 2021; Audible Plus) -- First in the Cliff Janeway mysteries which follow a former cop turned antiquarian book dealer. My review will be posted on August 31.
  • Harbinger by Wen Spencer (Kindle & audiobook; mine since April 4, 2022) -- Fifth book in the Tinker series and direct prequel to Storm Furies. I felt I needed to reread this one so that I was up to speed on the complex events of the series. I reviewed it in 2022.
  • Storm Furies by Wen Spencer (Kindle; Mine since August 6) -- Latest in the Tinker series was filled with battles against the oni. Great story which followed lots of different characters. My review will be posted on September 4.
  • The Oldest Starfighter by Jamie McFarlane (Kindle; Mine since July 24) -- Classic space opera that begins a new series. My review will be posted on September 5.
  • True Colors by Jayne Ann Krentz (Chirp Audiobook; mine since October 31, 2021) -- Contemporary romance written in 1985 which is showing its age mainly by the chauvinistic male lead. My review will be posted on September 10.
Currently
Next Week
Reviews Posted
Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?

Review:
Bought:
  • Storm Furies (The Tinker Series Book 6) by Wen Spencer (Kindle)
  • Into the Fire (Vatta's Peace Book 2) by Elizabeth Moon (Kindle) - I actually bought this one February 5, 2018, but never added it to my LibraryThing account
What was your week like?

7 comments:

  1. OOh nice! We had a nice stretch of less hot days. Not exactly cool ones, but definitely lower than what is normal for our Augusts. Of course this week the temps are climbing back up so there's goes that nice 3 day streak! Lol.

    Nice lineup of reads! I still need to start the Emily Wilde series! It sounds like fun! I hope you enjoy your reads for this week!


    Here's my Monday Wrap-up

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those books must have been good to have you stay up till 3 a.m to read them! Have another good week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been cooler in central New York for about a week too. We discussed making chili on Friday but decided we didn't have time after stopping by the gym. We can feel the urge to start making those heartier dishes building though!

    I loved When Women Were Dragons, especially on audio. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your books all look so good. I hope you enjoy them and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’m trying to make a dent in books that have been on my shelf for far too long.slow going because new exciting ones also come my way! Have a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah for new recopies and leftovers! And any dent, no matter how big or small it is, is still a dent made. Thanks for stopping by! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you enjoyed The Bullet That Missed, and now I'll be looking forward to reading what you think of When Women Were Dragons.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!