Sunday, April 15, 2012

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? April 16, 2012




It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is a meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journey.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading, is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.



I had another good reading week. Spring Break lasted through Monday and I had a couple of sick days this week as my cold decided to settle in my eyes. A doctor's visit on Monday told me I had conjunctivitis. I have been popping antibiotics all week and have all the energy of a sloth. Bad for general life but good for reading time.

Here is what I finished:
Bear Meet Girl by Shelly Laurenston -- I like Laurenston's sexy, funny paranormals. This one was good even though it took me a little time to warm to the heroine. I am not a cat person and she was a cat shifter. My review will be posted on April 26.

Crystal Gardens by Amanda Quick - I love this author and really liked this book. It is a historical paranormal romance. Quick always has quirky and entertaining characters. My review will be posted on April 21 and the book will be out on April 24.
Bunny and the Bear by Eve Langlais - This was an impulse read from my Kindle. It was quite similar to Bear Meets Girl and had the same quirky humor. I was a big fan of the heroine in this one who shifts into a werebunny. Lots of humor and lots of excitement here. My review will be posted on April 28.

The Prophet by Amanda Stevens - This is the third book in the Graveyard Queen series. It had the same Gothic goodness and creepiness as the first two. My only caveat is that I don't think it would stand alone well. But for those who enjoyed the first two books in the series this is a must-read. My review will be posted on April 19 and the book will be out on April 24. 
The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa - This is a very well-written vampire story that is also post-apocalyptic. It was easily my favorite book of the week. I liked the main character who has to come to terms with becoming something she hates and figure out how to retain her humanity. My review will be posted on April 21 and the book will be out on April 24.

Breaking Beautiful by Jennifer Shaw Wolf - This is the story of a girl who has to come to terms with the death of her secretly abusive boyfriend. She is filled with secrets and, because of injuries she suffered when her boyfriend dies, some of them are secrets from her too. This was a very compelling and touching story. My review will be posted on April 26 but the book will be available April 24.
I am .currently reading A Hero's Guide to Saving Your Kingdom by Christopher Healy. I got this middle grade twisted fairy tale from Amazon Vine. It is the story of four Prince Charmings who are rejected by their princesses and who are wandering around looking from something heroic to do. This one will be published on May 1.

When I looked at my review spreadsheet I realized that I didn't have any adult books for review in the month of May. This gives me lots of freedom to choose what appeals to me from my stack. But it is hard to make a decision about what to read when my stack is so huge. These are some of the books that look good to me today.
The Department of Magic by Rod Kierkegaard, Jr. - This is a review book that I just accepted yesterday. It was published last December. I liked the urban fantasy sort of blurb and hope it is good. 

Locked On by Tom Clancy - I haven't read anything by Clancy in a while but I used to enjoy his thrillers. I am a big Jack Ryan fan and hope he makes an appearance in this story.

Pirate King by Laurie R. King - This is the most recent in the Mary Russell-Sherlock Holmes series. I am eager to see what comes next for those characters.
The young adult books I plan to read this week are all books for review that will be published on May 8.

Pilgrims Don't Wear Pink by Stephanie Kate Strohm came to me from the Amazon Vine program. This is a contemporary about a history loving girl working in an historical theme park. 

The Hunt by Andrew Fukuda is a dystopia/post-apocalyptic story about one of the few remaining humans who is hiding to keep from being hunted to extinction.

Struck by Jennifer Bosworth is about a girl addicted to being struck by lightning.

I doubt I'll get all of these read but these are the ones on the top of my stack. What do you have planned for next week?


11 comments:

  1. I hope you feel much better this week and that the conjunctivitis clears up really soon.

    I have been wanting to try Laurie King's Mary Russell series. I also want to read Pilgrims Don't Wear Pink and Breaking Beautiful sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always have such interesting picks! Breaking Beautiful sounds good. Have a super week Kathy and feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed Pirate King. I think I still need to post a review for it!

    My favorite read this week was Sapphique by Catherine Fisher. Please come see what else I'm reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you are feeling better!

    I haven't read any of these books/authors. I have heard good things about Amanda Quick, though.

    Have a great week!
    Kristin @ Always With a Book

    ReplyDelete
  5. jeeze chick! Don't you do anything other than read!?! Lol...I am the same way! I really want to check out Immortal Rules...I love Julie Kagawa so it should be right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! It looks like you have quite a busy week planned! Some of these books sound very steamy! ;) I likey!

    Happy Reading!
    http://mustreadfaster.blogspot.com/2012/04/what-are-you-reading.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Breaking Beautiful sounds like an interesting story and it has such a striking cover! I'm glad you enjoyed it.
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pilgrims Don't Wear Pink sounds really fun. Enjoy your books this week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have read Bear Meets Girl and I loved it! I totally need to get Crystal Gardens and Bunny and the Girl - they sounds good!


    Happy Reading!
    Dani
    http://paulettespapers.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I bought the Bear Meets Girl book...and can't get into it for my life! Usually I like her writing but this one just doesn't do it for me.

    Happy reading this week!

    It's Monday! What are you reading at the Brunette Librarian!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't wait to see your Breaking Beautiful review!! Happy Monday and enjoy your week of reading :)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!