Sunday, April 29, 2012

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? (April 30, 2012)



It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is a meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journey.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading, is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.



This has been one crazy week. I am still battling a virus that has me with itchy, blurry eyes and a cough that is monumental. But it is gradually getting better. I did manage to sleep lying down last night rather than propped to near sitting on a stack of pillows.


Then, the whole Story Siren plagiarism thing happened. As a librarian and teacher, I can't support plagiarists and had to look for a new mailbox sort of meme. I chose Stacking the Shelves from Tynga's Reviews as the one that fit best. Exploring that one has let me meet and follow lots of bloggers I didn't know.


I also got some reading done this week.
Pack of Lies (Red Ridge Pack) by Staci Wever and Sara Dailey was a new arrival for review. It is a werewolf story and I just can't pass those up. I enjoyed it and liked that it was told in the first person from three viewpoints.  My review will be posted on May 2.

Pilgrims Don't Wear Pink by Stephanie Kate Strohm was an Amazon Vine pick. I liked this contemporary story about a history nerd solving a mystery and having a romance at a living history museum. The main character was a stitch - loved her sense of fashion. My review will be posted May 10.
The Hunt by Andrew Fukuda was a review book from NetGalley. This is a post-apocalytic vampire story that was well done. I liked the worldbuilding in this one. My review will be posted on May 5.

Pirate King by Laurie R. King was a pick from my TBR mountain. I had added it to the stack on Sept. 7, 2011. It is the latest in the Sherlock Holmes/Mary Russell series and has Mary going undercover with a movie company. I liked the quirky characters and the glimpse into the early days of film making. My review will be posted on May 10.

Again this week, I am currently reading two books.
The eARC for Dragon Ship by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller became available on Friday even though the book won't be out until September. I have already pre-ordered the book but had to get the eARC too so that I can read it NOW.

A Confusion of Princes by Garth Nix arrived on Thursday via Amazon Vine and jumped to the top of my review stack. It will be released on May 15. This is an epic fantasy in a far future world with trillions of humans, millions of worlds and a number of princes who are vying to become the next Emperor. 

My books for next week are repeats from last week because new arrivals jumped ahead of them in line. They may be sliding down another week yet as I have a couple coming this week from Amazon Vine too which I think are also May releases. Here they are again:
What Doesn't Kill You by Iris Johansen
Locked On by Tom Clancy

And the next two on my review stack:
Of Poseidon by Anna Banks (May 22 release)
Bridge of Time by Lewis Buzbee (May 22 release)

That was what I accomplished last week and what I plan for this one. What are your plans?

15 comments:

  1. I just got The Hunt in the mail and I'm glad to hear that it has good world building. The premise is intriguing to me. I also want to check out Pilgrims Don't Wear Pink and A Confusion of Princes. The Laurie R. King series sounds really interesting too. I enjoyed the original Sherlock Holmes stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Slow week for me. Yours has been rather full. Enjoy the reads.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh, Kathy I am sorry you havent been feeling well. I had two days of headaches last week... thought it was stress from work but think I may have been hit with a bug. Feel better and read on :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots to keep you busy - I hope your eyes aren't itchy enough to stop you enjoying your books

    Have fun reading!

    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete
  5. I look forward to reading your review of Pirate King. My favorite read this week was The Fifteenth Pelican by Tere Rios Please come see what else I'm reading.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy reading. I think I'll add Clancy to my TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Second time I'm seeing Of Poseidon! Like the cover a lot! Hope you enjoy your reads!

    Here's my Monday Wrapup

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Hunt & Poseidon are 2 I would love to get to soon as well. And I had to laugh about your books getting pushed down the list - that happens to me all the time - so hard to plan sometimes :-)

    Tanya
    Girlxoxo.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do like Garth Nix and that new one sounds good. Hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like some great reads. I have a few of the same ones in my queue, too. :)

    Allison
    Well-Read Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm really hoping to read "Of Poseidon" soon! It looks REALLY good and my teens are super super excited for it at my library. Such a neat concept, isn't it?

    Have a great reading week!
    What are YOU reading??

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved What Doesn't Kill You - it was a quick, suspenseful read and I hope it's not the last time we see Catherine Ling.

    Have a great week!
    Kristin @ Always With a Book

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, you got a lot accomplished, and you've been sick!
    All of these books look good especially The Hunt. I also got Of Poseidon and look forward to reading it soon. Hope you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't wait to read your Pilgrims Don't Wear Pink review. Iris Johansen is a favorite author of mine as well. Great list of books.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!