Monday, September 8, 2014

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (Sept. 8, 2014)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is a meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journey.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading, is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

This first week of school was a busy one. I like getting to meet new classes but getting everything organized and lessons planned takes up so much time. And this was an easy week. Next week I will also be adding assessment to the mix since I am required to grade each student in all my classes. That's about 200 students this semester. I seem to be doing the bulk of my reading on weekends which is really cutting down on the number of books I can finish in a week.

Sunday I will be going to the Minnesota Renaissance Festival with a friend which will eliminate any reading time. I haven't been to the festival for a few years and the weather is supposed to be wonderful. I look forward to listening to the music, seeing all the crafts, and eating fair food - maybe even a turkey leg.

Next week will be a bit busier than normal because I have attending the Driver Improvement Program refresher on my list for Tuesday evening. I have to do this every three years in order to get a discount on my car insurance. I also have another after school meeting on Wednesday but that one should only take an hour or so from my day.

Working around these meetings and the usual baseball games to watch on my computer will fill in my week nicely. Hopefully, I'll be able to fit in some reading time too.

Read Last Week
Clariel by Garth Nix was an entertaining fantasy by the author of the Abhorsen trilogy. It is a prequel to that series. My review will be posted on October 13.

Liesmith by Alis Franklin was also a fantasy. It takes place in Australia and stars a nerd who falls in love with a Norse god. I found the story a little bit confusing and felt that the author was trying to do too much in the story. Maybe more knowledge of Norse mythology would have helped. My review will be posted on October 8.

Skin of the Wolf by Sam Cabot was a paranormal thriller about the hunt for a magical Iroquois mask that, when used in a ceremony, allows people to shift into animal forms. Since the series already has vampires, the introduction of shape shifting Native Americans expands the universe. I liked this one enough to buy the first book in the series to catch up. My review will be posted on October 11.

Currently
The Midnight Queen by Sylvia Izzo Hunter is an alternate history story with magic. I am enjoying the story so far. I have reached about the halfway point on my Kindle.

Next Week

Here are the next four young adult books on my review stack. They might slide back though because I am expecting to receive the next in the In Death series by J. D. Robb this week. I won't be able to resist reading that one right away.
Snow Like Ashes by Sara Raasch
Stitching Snow by R. C. Lewis
Chasing Power by Sarah Beth Durst
Centaur Rising by Jane Yolen

Reviews Posted
Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?
I'm sorry for being such a bad blogger. I have been having trouble finding time to visit other blogs since school has begun. I am going to try harder this week.

Hope everyone has a wonderful week filled with fun and reading.

9 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have a very busy week ahead! I hope you find some down time to relax with a good book.

    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Minnesota Renaissance festival sounds fun- we haven't been to our festival yet but will be going soon. That's always a fun day. Centaur rising looks like an interesting YA read...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh nice! Sounds like you'll be busy! Nothing fun ever happen around me! I'm always driving miles and hours to places! Like yesterday I made a day trip to drive 4.5ish hours back and forth to a signing in Naperville! But it was fun and worth it! Doing it again next week too! My poor bank account! LOL!

    Happy Reading this week!

    Here's my Monday Wrapup

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beginning of school is very busy and I think you have done amazingly with all that on your plate. I like Jayne Ann Krentz but haven't read the novella.

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds like you've been awesomely busy, and will continue to be! and you've got some good books on your list, here's to hoping you get em read and enjoy them!
    Here is my Monday

    ReplyDelete
  6. Crazy, busy ... I had one of those weeks too. Hope you find a little time to unwind and that Renaissance Festival sounds brilliant, hope you post some photos. Enjoy your new reads :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have fun at your Renaissance festival . . . those are always good people-watching! I love the costumes and the music. Hope you have time to get in some good reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never been to a Renaissance Festival, but I'd love to someday! Life is just too short for all the things I want to do. You asked about Jacky Faber on my blog. I absolutely love those books, especially on audio! Katherine Kellgren is amazing as Jacky. Enjoy your week, and good luck balancing everything!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Midnight Queen looks like a fun read! I will have to look into it.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!