Tuesday, December 8, 2020

Book and Audio Review: Cast in Courtlight by Michelle Sagara

Cast in Courtlight

Author: Michelle Sagara
Series: The Chronicles of Elantra Book 2
Publication: MIRA; First Time Paperback Edition (June 1, 2016)

Description: In Elantra, a job well done is rewarded with a more dangerous task. And so, after defeating a dark evil, Kaylin must enter a place of deceit and treachery. A world where silk and jewels hide deadly secrets….

Kaylin goes before the Barrani High Court, where a misspoken word brings sure death. And Kaylin's never been known for her grace or manners. But the High Lord's heir is suspiciously ill and Kaylin's healing magic is the only shot at saving him—if she manages to dodge the traps laid for her.

Only to discover that the healing might turn out to be the simplest of the tasks before her…

My Thoughts: The second book in the Chronicles of Elantra has Kaylin Neya going into the Barrani High Court to try to heal the heir to the courts. Naturally, there is a time crunch. She just has a couple of days to sort things out before all Hell breaks loose. 

In the course of the story, Kaylin learns vastly more about the role of the High Courts and what they were designed to contain. She gets a name even though humans don't have names in the sense that the immortal species do. Kaylin also comes to terms with what Severn did that caused her to flee the fiefs and to flee Severn and build a new life for herself in Elantra. 

This story is a richly detailed fantasy filled with fascinating characters and wonderful worldbuilding. I love the dragons and the Barrani. I also love the leontines and aerians. I think Kaylin is a wonderful character who is growing and learning more about herself in each of these stories. 

I both read and listened to this story. Khristine Hvam does a wonderful job with the voices and with the pacing in the story. 

Favorite Quote:
"Success and failure are two edges of the same blade, two sides of the same coin. To fear the one is to forever deny the possibility of the other."

I bought this one. You can buy your copy here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!