Monday, December 28, 2020

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (Dec. 28, 2020)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is now hosted by Kathryn at The Book Date.


It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

I will be combining my YA and adult reading and purchases on this one weekly roundup.

Other Than Reading... 

There really hasn't been much except reading this past week. Our Christmas was quiet. Luckily, there was no travel involved in our holiday plans since Duluth hosted a blizzard last Wednesday. Bill worked until 5 PM and said it was his worst drive home in the last ten years. At times he couldn't see at all; other times he could see about ten feet ahead of the car's front bumper. 

Duluth is a very hilly city but his work and our home are at the same elevation. There aren't any major hills between them if you zigzag around the streets correctly. That was lucky because our storm began with freezing drizzle which left an ice coating on the streets before the snow and wind began. The temperatures were too low for road salt to be effective leaving the ice to last until the temperatures warmed up enough on the weekend for the salt to work. 

I focused on a reread/listen to the whole Vorkosigan series by Lois McMaster Bujold and have four novels and two novellas for this coming week's reading before the series will be finished. I already had all the books in autographed hardcover and some in paperback too. I had some of them for my Kindle either purchased from Amazon or Baen Books. Some of the audiobooks were available as part of my Audible subscription. I purchased the rest at Amazon and Audible this week. Figuring out which ebooks I had already purchased was interesting. It would have been much easier if I had gotten them all from Amazon. Luckily, Baen also keeps track of what I've purchased and lets me download them as many times as I like. The problem is that the Baen editions and the Audible editions don't sync. If I start listening on my computer, I can't switch to listening on my Kindle.

With two more snow events predicted for this week, I expect to have a lot of time for listening. 

Read Last Week

If you can't wait until the review shows up on my blog, reviews are posted to LibraryThing and Goodreads as soon as I write them (usually right after I finish reading a book.) All of these are rereads which won't be reviewed on my blog but are briefly reviewed at LibaryThing and Goodreads.
  • Cetaganda by Lois McMaster Bujold (Audiobook) -- Miles Vorkosigan and his cousin Ivan are sent to Cetaganda to attend the empress's funeral and winds up solving a mystery and foiling a new Cetagandan invasion.
  • The Vor Game by Lois McMaster Bujold (Audiobook) -- Miles is sent back to the Dendarii Mercenaries and winds up rescuing a runaway Emperor Gregor and foiling another Cetagandan nvasion.
  • Borders of Infinity by Lois McMaster Bujold (Audiobook) -- This is a collection of three novellas. One tells about a murder case he's sent to investigate in his family's district when he is a newly minted Lieutenant. The other two tell about two successful missions from his time with the Dendarii Mercenaries.
  • Brothers in Arms by Lois McMaster Bujold (Audiobook) -- Miles finds himself and his mercenary fleet at Earth waiting for funds from Barrayar. He discovers that he has a clone-brother who was created by Komarran revolutionaries to assassinate Miles' father and create chaos on Barrayar.
  • Mirror Dance by Lois McMaster Bujold (Audobook) -- Mark hijacks his brother Miles' fleet on a mission to rescue clones slated for the brain replacement surgery on Jackson's Whole. Miles goes to the rescue and ends up dead in a cyrochamber which is then lost resulting in a galactic hunt and Mark getting to know his Barrayaran parents. 
  • Memory by Lois McMaster Bujold (Audiobook) -- Miles has been revived but has been left with seizures which will get him thrown out of the Dendarii Mercenaries and exiled to Barrayar if ImpSec finds out. He lies; he's fired...and then his long-time boss at ImpSec is the victim of an attempted assassination. When Miles is shut out of the investigation, he goes to Emperor Gregor who makes him an Imperial Auditor to investigate what happened to Illyan. Miles solves the crime and discovers a new career.
  • Komarr by Lois McMaster Bujold (Audiobook) -- Miles is sent on a new case to Komarr which is rather urgent since Gregor wants to marry a Komarran lady. Miles also meets the woman he really wants to make his Lady Vorkosigan.
Currently
Next Week
Reviews Posted
Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?
What was your week like?


17 comments:

  1. All those lovely sci-fi books! Though I have to say Michelle Sagara's book cover really caught my eye - I am going to take a look at that series, it sounds very intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have Marion Lane to review. I'm not sure about this one though. We'll see. I hope you have a great week and the snow isn't too bad. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you have some dicey weather up where you are! I'm glad you are able to stay home and safe. Happy new year! (Melinda @ A Web of Stories)

    ReplyDelete
  4. With more weather coming you will have plenty of time to read and listen. We are still mild here so I am still able to walk outside. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's great that you got through the blizzard, and that you have such lovely books for the week ahead. Enjoy! Thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you have a great week and happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, we got snow here on Tuesday. On the sides of the road where it wasn't plowed, it was halfway up my legs, which was not fun to walk in to go to work. But looks like a good reading week, and I hope next week is just as good! Thanks for stopping by! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lots of new to me reads here! I hope enjoy this week's lineup!


    Here's my Monday Wrap-up

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yikes that sounds like quite the blizzard! Hope your snow holds off some. Our holiday was quiet too.

    hope you have a nice New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I seem to read best in cold weather, so I envy you all your snowy weather. I can't imagine driving in snow and/or ice. Your poor brother.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can’t imagine driving in that sort of weather, sounds scary!
    Enjoy your book series binge

    Wishing you a great week and a joyous new year

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow Kathy! You had a great week of reading! After reading your post about the weather I can honestly say I do not miss those Midwest Winters at all. Although it was very beautiful when you wake up and everything is so white and the snow is so clean. Then the plows come by and that's that!๐Ÿ˜‚ Have a wonderful week!๐Ÿ“š๐Ÿ’œ

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! Sounds like quite a storm. Ours wasn't nearly as bad. We are expecting some warmer temperatures now, so hopefully no snow for a bit.

    I checked out some of your reviews. Hope you enjoy the books you added.

    Wishing you a happy and healthy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow that is a crazy snowstorm! Glad that you were all safe. Our Christmas was quiet as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Most of our snow has melted but it was a bit icy this morning when I pulled out of the driveway. Hope you enjoy your books while staying in from the winter weather. Hope you have a great week and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am glad your brother got home safely.
    My goodness that's a lot of Lois McMaster Bujold titles. I will be interested in reading the first soon.
    I am glad to see another Andy Carpenter story.
    I hope you had a good week and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have never lived anywhere where it snowed. Visited yes. I think I wouldn't mind as long as I didn't have to go anywhere and had heat. :-) I hope you get in lots more reading. It looks like you had a good week. I am really looking forward to reading Marion Lane and the Midnight Murder. Hopefully soon. Have a great week, Kathy!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!