Saturday, February 16, 2008

Thing 20: Libraries and Social Networks

I looked at both MySpace and Facebook. I could do Facebook from work but not MySpace. We block MySpace because it got to be such a time-waster for our HS kids. They'd spend time there instead of doing the work that they should have been doing on the computers. I was talking to one teen yesterday who said that MySpace is getting to be a thing of the past for her and for her friends. She maybe checks it once a week now. I looked at the Hennepin County Library page in MySpace.

I like the privacy features of Facebook. I wanted to add some friends from other librarians doing 23 Things on a Stick but didn't know how. I don't have email addresses for any of the participants. I looked for a 23 Things on a Stick group but couldn't find one. I was tempted to start such a group but don't feel comfortable enough at Facebook to do that. The thing says to let "us" know when I joined Facebook but I wasn't sure how to do that or who "us" was. Any ideas?

Why isn't there a Rochester, MN region? The closest was Minneapolis/St. Paul. How do we start a new region? I have lots of questions about Facebook and don't know where to go for answers.

I did like the tutorial from Expert Village. It looks like there are a number of intersting tutorials there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!